So... copyright made my video unavailable on phones?

brunoalhe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys! I just uploaded a cover of a song I love by Troye Sivan and I have never had problems posting covers before... granted I cannot monetise them but everyone can still watch them, but this time my video was made unavailable on phones but people can still watch it on a computer. Do you know why that happens?

Tuttiman

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some people do this to stop your recognition for someone elses content, just clearly state that they can monetize the product if necessary but to revoke the viewing restriction as it was a cover product and not the actual video or anything to a similar content.

Reactions: brunoalhe

brunoalhe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks :) I ended up taking it down because it was literally getting no views haha but good to know for next time!

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You can generally check youTube's monetization policies for a good feel for what is likely to happen if you use a song vs if you perform a cover.

Music Policies isn't perfect (it doesn't have every song), and it's not binding to copyright holders (so they can choose to do something different than is listed in Music Policies), but it's a good start.

You can find that at: youtube.com/music_policies