Small channel (below 500 subs) with ranked videos?

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have a small channel 500 subs or less with videos that rank for search terms with some traffic?

I have 130 subs at the moment, but I have got them all by sharing my content via social media and haven't gained any views via search because my videos fail to rank for significant terms despite tube buddy optimisation.

So, I would like see examples of ranked videos on tiny channels, like mine so I can lean what you've done differently :)

Thanks!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My little experimental channel has a video that has ranked tags and is doing well. But like you I just used the free Tube Buddy for tags and just so happened to work.
Bearing in mind I now have around 100 videos on the channel and only 1 maybe 2 are doing 'ok'

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My little experimental channel has a video that has ranked tags and is doing well. But like you I just used the free Tube Buddy for tags and just so happened to work.
Bearing in mind I now have around 100 videos on the channel and only 1 maybe 2 are doing 'ok'
That's put things in perspective for me. I think I'm probably too impatient! 2 videos ranked for a new channel with 100 videos and I'm here with 19 videos in total and 11 weeks on the platform, so I shouldn't really complain... yet... :D

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It took 2 years for my main channel to really gain traction.
I would recommend spending at least a year creating and improving with every video.
You will eventually reach your goals with time and effort.

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It took 2 years for my main channel to really gain traction.
I would recommend spending at least a year creating and improving with every video.
You will eventually reach your goals with time and effort.
Thanks for the help and the hope! I'll keep uploading and focus on getting better.

Robot Elixir

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I agree with EVO. Just keep at it, keep improving and one day a video will pop which'll help you to understand what works and what doesn't. Maybe try experimenting with different thumbnail styles. Best of luck :)

Reaction score
I agree with EVO. Just keep at it, keep improving and one day a video will pop which'll help you to understand what works and what doesn't. Maybe try experimenting with different thumbnail styles. Best of luck :)
This is good advice. Most important is to keep churning out content.

Reactions: Robot Elixir

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
When I was starting out my third video ranked #1 for Japan game shop and has for over a year since. I had 10 subscribers back then. Still get comments on it even though the shop is now gone hahahaha

I think you really need to deliver what the video is in the title and do it early and often to keep people interested

I’ve HEARD, can’t prove, that speaking keywords often in a video helps push it up over vids that don’t too.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I was starting out my third video ranked #1 for Japan game shop and has for over a year since. I had 10 subscribers back then. Still get comments on it even though the shop is now gone hahahaha

I think you really need to deliver what the video is in the title and do it early and often to keep people interested

I’ve HEARD, can’t prove, that speaking keywords often in a video helps push it up over vids that don’t too.
Thanks for sharing your story. I think I've got to find the golden search terms with volume and low competition. I've got work to do!

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have one video that ranks pretty high but it's quite a specific keyword.
upload_2017-11-14_19-3-41.png