Skippable Ads - Disable them?

jdog88

Reaction score
At almost 30k subs I have the option to disable skippable ads on monetized videos. I fully understand the impacts of potentially having an impatient viewer jump out of the video but these are pretty good retention and liked videos that they will stick around for. Will turning off skippable ads increase the revenue for the video due to advertisers paying more and getting more exposure? Right now most of the $ for the video (

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think it depends on if you have another ad revenue to fill the place of the skippable ads. If you completely remove preroll ads and keep only a banner ad, then your revenue will probably drop by a magnitude. I'm not sure what would happen if you forced unskippable preroll ads, but I'd hypothesize your revenue might increase slightly. If the unskippable ads are short, I think most viewers will watch them. I think video retention is hit the hardest when the ads are placed in the middle of a video.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Non-skippable ads are generally 5-15 seconds in length. Most advertisers use the standard 30-second format that only show up as skippable. Some obviously use the shorter, non-skippable formats, but because they are so much shorter, those ads sell to the advertiser for much less than longer commercials. Meaning, if you only allow non-skippable ads, you are agreeing to accept both fewer ads AND ads that provide much less revenue per showing. Something to consider.

Ater

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Why not just experiment with it? Pick 10 videos that get about the same amount of views and change five of them to disable skippable ads. Give it a week and than compare the results, the five without skippable ads vs the five with skippable.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer