Sketch Comedy

Marseekuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So I find it difficult to find some threads about scripts or anything to do with sketch comedy. I actually find it difficult to find other Youtubers that do that. So, do you? Do you only do sketch comedy or just once in a while? How do you prepare? Do you write a script?

P.S.: I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi, yeah I did few of them. First get some ideas, then select one of them. Make sure to write plan/script as you go along, so you do not forget something. Then write text, learn it and shoot video until you have perfect shoot. Without a script it would be really hard to remember everything. :)

3rdfloorlive

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Marseekuy, so we're a channel pretty much dedicated to live action (usually comedy) skits. we'll occasionally deviate from skits to reviews or challenges just to change things up a little for ourselves and our viewers. Really what it comes down to is do what you have a passion for. try not to force personalities and let it be organic to the actors. To prepare, we get together and toss around ideas that we've have over the week and bounce them off each other to see how it evolves.
As far as scripts go, it all depends. We've done fully scripted sketches and improvised. My advice is look at your actors. Sometimes too solid of a script (unless it's exactly what you want) can be hindering for the actors if they can't act out how you see it. We usually give them the basic idea of what to say and let them have some free range with it. Sometimes, things they improv turn out better than something you could have written since it's in the moment and more natural to them.
Something i've found though that saves time is preplanning WHERE and HOW you're going to shoot the scene. that way you shoot a scene, go to the next area, shoot that, and so on. makes it smoother and quicker so the actors and crew don't feel stagnant.

We've done a some comedy skits if you wanna check em out, other than that, hope this helped! good luck in the future!

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
Yeah it is hard to look into without people telling you to "Study other videos". I kinda left it alone and started weekend vlogging on my other channel and focusing on my animation. However, I do sketch comedy with my animation but it's still difficult to come up with.

Marseekuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hi, yeah I did few of them. First get some ideas, then select one of them. Make sure to write plan/script as you go along, so you do not forget something. Then write text, learn it and shoot video until you have perfect shoot. Without a script it would be really hard to remember everything. :)
Hey, thanks for the advice ya'll, I was just curious to know how other people do it though. I've been doing comedy skits now for a year. I always make a script, but some things can be improvised or "my actors" can say something similar and not exactly like the script says if that is easier for them. I have an improv background so that's fine with me.

Something i've found though that saves time is preplanning WHERE and HOW you're going to shoot the scene. that way you shoot a scene, go to the next area, shoot that, and so on. makes it smoother and quicker so the actors and crew don't feel stagnant.
Exactly! I write down what props do I need too. The most difficult thing that I find in the making of comedy skits is try to find the right actors. And sometimes when you find a perfect one you can't find the right time to shoot it. :D Or sometimes I get some idea where I need a lot of people and I just can't "find" them :D Good luck to you too, I saw that you're a nice crew. I'm happy I'm not alone in this too, my friend is a cameragirl and editor :)

Yeah it is hard to look into without people telling you to "Study other videos". I kinda left it alone and started weekend vlogging on my other channel and focusing on my animation. However, I do sketch comedy with my animation but it's still difficult to come up with.
You're totally right you didn't study other videos, I mean maybe you get some kind of ideas and it's always good to connect with other Youtubers, but you still gotta be unique. And man, I saw that you are :D So Future didn't become a vampire? :D

I figure I will once I get some money to buy a camera. Maybe. Most of the time when someone says they have a comedy channel, it's just a bunch of videos where they do Let's Plays in funny voices, so actual comedy videos are always appreciated.
Exactly, that's why I made this thread. Same thing happens when I go to a Comedy section here on YTalk to check out some other videos and it's full of challenges and reactions. I mean I don't mind but I was looking for something else lol.

Reactions: User_78298

bryan94c

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I make vlogs but I try to make sketches within them i guess but i usually put ideas in my phone . If you want to see a comedy person who has funny sketches you should watch lifeaccordingtojimmy

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
You're totally right you didn't study other videos, I mean maybe you get some kind of ideas and it's always good to connect with other Youtubers, but you still gotta be unique.
Yeah I look at other videos just to figure out why it's funny and I think I got the comedy structure.

And man, I saw that you are So Future didn't become a vampire? :D
You'll have to wait and find out on the next episode ;) lol.