Shout Out's Do or DON'T

RoleplayingRykin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The Community I generally network with on YouTube are COD gamers and a lot of them run a Shoutout Sunday series on their channel.

Now I have a few thoughts on this that I am going to share with you guys and it will give you a run down on my channel to a certain degree.

I don't play COD or Mincraft on my channel and rarely follow the trend to the letter. I play new release games but am not as rushed to bomb out 20 ep. in 7 minutes. (I should If I want to do well) But I find people geerally have started coming back for my slightly comedic commentary.

The people I see doing the shout outs generally resort to them at a time when the stop seeing growth. Shout outs do get you subs because they can set the rules to be you have to subscribe. But what I see happen is these people generally get a burst in subs every time a shout video comes out BUT for the rest of the week they might only get between 20 - 40 % of the views. SHOUT OUTS ATTRACT INACTIVE SUBS!!!

Now what I see happen all the time is these are the rules:

Be Subscribed (Doesn't mean they have to be active or stay subbed)
Like the video (Can't monitor this unless they follow you on twitter or have it set to come up on their feed)
Comment on the vid asking for a shoutout.... (REALLY!!!) Hey dude, nice video absolutely beast gameplay. Great content any chance I can have be apart of your shoutout series? (I just asked for a shoutout made it sound like I watched the vid and there wasn't even a video there)

Alot of the people that ask for these want you to promote them and will never return the favour and will go inactive if you don't give them one and even once you will give them one.....THIS IS NOT NETWORKING networking is mutually beneficial!

I do shoutouts to give back to my subscribers! But here is the kicker....I only give it to people who have earned it through being active befriending my through chats and networking or featured my channel or given me a shout out.
I don't have a set day for them that way the guys that search for people giving shoutouts won't find me. Also unless you have become a good friend I will not give shout outs to people who ask because if they are hunting for them then I suspect them of turning inactive.

I am going to put up another post on other means of networking that I recommend instead of shoutouts soon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'll start giving shout outs if I'm ever in a position where I'll actually matter. I'd only give shout outs to people who create content I enjoy and who I feel deserve it, I don't think there should be strings attached to a shout out.

Reactions: ChunkeyPanda

KGATV

YASSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
I used to do weekly shoutouts, and I required people to be active with my channel and be subscribed to recieve the shoutout. It worked great, until I noticed people were using me for shout outs. Those people who were active recieved the shout out, but 99% of them stopped going to my channel. No more comments, likes, messages, tweets... nothing.

I now don't advertise shout outs, and i'm going to give them out to only people I feel deserve it.

RoleplayingRykin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'll start giving shout outs if I'm ever in a position where I'll actually matter. I'd only give shout outs to people who create content I enjoy and who I feel deserve it, I don't think there should be strings attached to a shout out.
It's not strings and I do agree if you do like there content fire ahead but when people go around asking for them you need to watch it. I give them only to subs who are active and to channels I like.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's not strings and I do agree if you do like there content fire ahead but when people go around asking for them you need to watch it. I give them only to subs who are active and to channels I like.
I meant strings as in asking them to subscribe to you or requiring them to be active, seeing as it wont really benefit you to set these requirements as most would just stop doing both after getting a shout out. Thus, I feel it'd be smarter to simply give shout outs to people you enjoy watching or feel deserve it and not base it on how many times they've liked/commented.

Reactions: RoleplayingRykin

RoleplayingRykin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I used to do weekly shoutouts, and I required people to be active with my channel and be subscribed to recieve the shoutout. It worked great, until I noticed people were using me for shout outs. Those people who were active recieved the shout out, but 99% of them stopped going to my channel. No more comments, likes, messages, tweets... nothing.

I now don't advertise shout outs, and i'm going to give them out to only people I feel deserve it.
Prime example dude! I hope this works for you. I posted a tread recently about a guy who asked me for a shout and I explained my policy for them (he stopped being active three weeks before)
He got him and his inactive friend to unsub me. Biggest favour he had done me cause I gained three legit active subs that day =D
I am heading over to check you out man and we can see about getting some good networking going how does that sound =D

SimplyRodney

I never knew I could change this. What the heck.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

awe dude ): What jeerrrkkks....

KGATV

YASSS
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
Prime example dude! I hope this works for you. I posted a tread recently about a guy who asked me for a shout and I explained my policy for them (he stopped being active three weeks before)
He got him and his inactive friend to unsub me. Biggest favour he had done me cause I gained three legit active subs that day =D
I am heading over to check you out man and we can see about getting some good networking going how does that sound =D
Sounds awesome :)

TheWillBox

I make moving pictures!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't really get the whole asking someone for a shoutout thing. If you want exposure you should do a collab or have something tangible to give back to the person putting you on their channel. Being active and commenting is nice, but that's what viewers do. If you want to be in a video, that's not a business proposition and both sides should stand to gain.

That said, I have done a friendly shoutout once, none of the people asked for it, I did it because I wanted to recognize them as my viewers that have been consistent in watching my stuff.