Should YouTubers organize a YT video blackout strike day in protest of FTC ruling?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Unless you have your head in the sand, You know that the FTC has unfairly targeted and threatened to sue YouTubers for the violations of COPPA that YouTube committed. They are now taking severe actions that are going to seriously hurt or destroy thousands of honest hardworking Youtubers that did nothing wrong.

Maybe it is time to show the world what their internet experience would be without us. I think all youtubers should band together and stage a 24 hour strike in which we move all over our content from Public to Private for one day. Each channel should have only one video, explaining how unfair this what the FTC is doing is and asking our viewers to meltdown the FTC servers and phone system with complaints.

It is time to stop being victims. We have a powerful voice. Let's USE IT!

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I appreciate the enthusiasm but your suggestion could do more harm for channels than the greater good that you are trying to achieve. people can make that info video and make it the intro video on their Channels.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I appreciate the enthusiasm but your suggestion could do more harm for channels than the greater good that you are trying to achieve. people can make that info video and make it the intro video on their Channels.
Well, a year from now, when the world wakes up to actually what is really going on (which has nothing to do with protecting kids), and they realize that all the ad-supported user-created content they could use for free is gone, it will be too late to make a bold statement.

The reason people fail, is because they fail to unite. Everyone loves to complain, but anytime anyone tries to suggest a proactive solution, they find every reason to attack it.

There is more at stake here than just money. What the FTC is doing is a direct attack on freedom of speech and expression. It will not stop here. It will spread to every aspect of online content like an infection. Take it from someone who has actually lived under tyranny, and faced prison and torture. This goes way beyond what you can possibly imagine.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Can you set your entire channel to private? Cause I'm not going to click on over 800 videos one by one and make them all private....
Yes you can. On a desktop computer just go to your video list page. Click the checkbox at the top right above the first video, then Select All. Then click Edit and then Visibility, then Private. Easy peasy.

But this will only be effective if we get a majority of tubers to join, especially big names. We need to do it quickly though and decided on a day. Maybe someone like Crown could suggest a normally hi traffic day between now and Christmas. Everybody makes a video explaining why we are doing this and asking their viewers to take action by calling their congressman. I think it would be very powerful and things would rapidly change.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
The only prob is the 'big guys that matter' wouldn't want to lose money by doing that. Most probably won't think it's better to lose a little short term than to risk losing it permanently in the long term.

atomicgirl24

Reaction score
Unless you have your head in the sand, You know that the FTC has unfairly targeted and threatened to sue YouTubers for the violations of COPPA that YouTube committed. They are now taking severe actions that are going to seriously hurt or destroy thousands of honest hardworking Youtubers that did nothing wrong.
For years now. YouTubers were warned repeatedly to not make a career out of YouTube. The reasons why were numerous, the biggest one being that you're at the complete mercy of a third party platform and forces outside your control.

Not only that, but the writing has been on the wall for years--multiple Adpocalypses, multiple sponsors pulling support, huge channels (like Alex Jones) being pulled, and revising the Producer Rewards program so that a large majority of creators couldn't make money anymore unless they achieved a threshold.

Given all that's happened, I don't understand how people at this stage of the game are still making creators out to be victims. No one is being hurt or destroyed by the FTC except people who still insisted on pouring their blood, sweat and tears into a platform in spite of the constant warning signs not to do so.

Maybe it is time to show the world what their internet experience would be without us. I think all youtubers should band together and stage a 24 hour strike in which we move all over our content from Public to Private for one day. Each channel should have only one video, explaining how unfair this what the FTC is doing is and asking our viewers to meltdown the FTC servers and phone system with complaints.
I have been on YouTube since the very beginning, from even before Google acquired it. YouTube has been through two phases--1) The days before The Partner Program, when people were posting for fun and major content producers/companies were posting to promote new products and releases (2005-2009) 2) After the Partner Program, when people came to upload for the money (2010-present).

People who tend to go on and on about how "they made YouTube" are not the ones who made the platform what it was. They were the Johnny Come Latelies who came to it long after the site had become popular and only on account of the Partner Program.

The ones who made the platform--and continue to make it--are the people who only posted for fun, promotion or utility and continue to, like they've been doing since the beginning.

All that would happen as the result of a blackout from the" We Made YouTube and Therefore Can Break It" brigade is a rude awakening. They would realize that their content only comprised of maybe 5% of the platform and therefore, wouldn't be missed. For every "We Made YouTube" creator blacked out, there would still be 10 vloggers talking about their life experiences; 50 publishers that already have a presence on the web (Cnet, BuzzFeed, Collider, etc.); 100 major content producers from the entertainment industry (gaming, film, sports, news, TV); and 1000 YouTubers uploading tutorials, compilations, video game playthroughs, vintage clips and public domain footage.

In fact, come to think of it, I think that a blackout would further give Google the go ahead to continue cutting YT creators loose. For a platform to survive, it's important to have reliable content producers. Why waste time with creators who are going to flake out on it with a blackout, when so many more reliable vloggers, networks, studios and major content producers are just going to keep posting?

Reactions: cbpayne

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
For years now. YouTubers were warned repeatedly to not make a career out of YouTube. The reasons why were numerous, the biggest one being that you're at the complete mercy of a third party platform and forces outside your control.

Not only that, but the writing has been on the wall for years--multiple Adpocalypses, multiple sponsors pulling support, huge channels (like Alex Jones) being pulled, and revising the Producer Rewards program so that a large majority of creators couldn't make money anymore unless they achieved a threshold.

Given all that's happened, I don't understand how people at this stage of the game are still making creators out to be victims. No one is being hurt or destroyed by the FTC except people who still insisted on pouring their blood, sweat and tears into a platform in spite of the constant warning signs not to do so.

I have been on YouTube since the very beginning, from even before Google acquired it. YouTube has been through two phases--1) The days before The Partner Program, when people were posting for fun and major content producers/companies were posting to promote new products and releases (2005-2009) 2) After the Partner Program, when people came to upload for the money (2010-present).

People who tend to go on and on about how "they made YouTube" are not the ones who made the platform what it was. They were the Johnny Come Latelies who came to it long after the site had become popular and only on account of the Partner Program.

The ones who made the platform--and continue to make it--are the people who only posted for fun, promotion or utility and continue to, like they've been doing since the beginning.

All that would happen as the result of a blackout from the" We Made YouTube and Therefore Can Break It" brigade is a rude awakening. They would realize that their content only comprised of maybe 5% of the platform and therefore, wouldn't be missed. For every "We Made YouTube" creator blacked out, there would still be 10 vloggers talking about their life experiences; 50 publishers that already have a presence on the web (Cnet, BuzzFeed, Collider, etc.); 100 major content producers from the entertainment industry (gaming, film, sports, news, TV); and 1000 YouTubers uploading tutorials, compilations, video game playthroughs, vintage clips and public domain footage.

In fact, come to think of it, I think that a blackout would further give Google the go ahead to continue cutting YT creators loose. For a platform to survive, it's important to have reliable content producers. Why waste time with creators who are going to flake out on it with a blackout, when so many more reliable vloggers, networks, studios and major content producers are just going to keep posting?
The other side of the coin, YouTube has enabled them because it was also making them big money.

YouTube can't afford to have Pewds, Markiplier and whoever the top 10 or 20 big money maker YouTubers leave all at once.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score

If I were youtube, I would pay people like you to go around discouraging any type of action like this by making people believe they are insignificant and powerless and should just bend over and take it.

That is what I were do if I were YouTube.

atomicgirl24

Reaction score
If I were youtube, I would pay people like you to go around discouraging any type of action like this by making people believe they are insignificant and powerless and should just bend over and take it.

That is what I were do if I were YouTube.
You're right. YouTube is paying me to post this. I get $1000 a post to discourage people like you. I'm buying my first Lambo as we speak because of my shilling. How did you ever guess I was a shill for YouTube? You're very perceptive! If you're interested, I can get you in on this racket, too. Just write Google and tell you that "atomicgirl24" sent you.