Should you take advice from smaller channels?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I joined this forum when I had ~21 subscribers (or somewhere around there...). I was just as opinionated about YouTube back then as I am today, and my opinions haven't really changed that much. I could give advice about stuff and ponder the intricacies of YouTube just like I can today. :eek: I don't think my channel's growth (although still small in the grand scheme of things...) really impacts anything... :eek:

I think the hardest part of YouTube is getting the first 100, and then 1k, subscribers. Then the next big challenge is 5k subscribers. After that, the algorithm kind of validates your ideas and I think it gets a little easier.... I see channels with hints about reaching those first few milestones as just as valuable as those with millions of subscribers. Actually, what newer, smaller channels have to say might even be MORE valuable than some bigger channels because they are trying to reach those really difficult milestone numbers with the latest and greatest algorithm changes. I'd imagine bigger channels could apply what new channels "figure out" about the algorithm, so I don't think it's as if big channels hold all the magic YouTube info... :)

Zadey

Reaction score
YouTube is all about creating relevant content for a niche (a specific group of people.) It scary how many people here don't understand the basic idea of Internet audiences and how to captivate/grow them.

10% of YouTube is using general strategies like Titles, Tags, Endscreens etc
90% of YouTube is understanding the audience for your specific type of content, making sure your brand and content is relevant for that audience.

Most "experts" can only help you with the first 10%.

@Galore
I've watched Scrubby and his friends channel Cyrus grow from almost nothing. They've become very popular story/commentary youtubers because the topics they talk about are very engaging to their young Gen Z audience ;) You could take a hint.

@DutchieAbroad
I've searched for various travel vlogs and while it's true that its difficult to get views in that niche. Many who succeed have professional camera crews/ production quality. You need to understand two things to be successful
1. Why are people watching travel vlog / travel content
2. What sort of things (specifically) would they value the most in travel content

Reactions: Galore

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
I mean for general growth strategy’s there could be issues with listening to tiny channels about growth. But making good videos? I only have around 920 subscribers but have been doing video editing and production (weddings, short films and various internships) for the past 4 years, I’d like to think I have good advice for audio, video and presentation. Just because I’m a small channel doesn’t mean that or anyone else’s experience in invalid, just that we know a different aspect of YouTube.

I guess what I’m saying is no matter how much exposure or experience someone might have, doesn’t mean they can’t have useful knowledge. [emoji16]

Zadey

Reaction score
I mean for general growth strategy’s there could be issues with listening to tiny channels about growth. But making good videos? I only have around 920 subscribers but have been doing video editing and production (weddings, short films and various internships) for the past 4 years, I’d like to think I have good advice for audio, video and presentation. Just because I’m a small channel doesn’t mean that or anyone else’s experience in invalid, just that we know a different aspect of YouTube.

I guess what I’m saying is no matter how much exposure or experience someone might have, doesn’t mean they can’t have useful knowledge. [emoji16]
You have barely uploaded 10 videos for a certain niche. Most tech channel audiences are dominated by professionals, so therefore anyone who is looking for reviews or tech product content is going to search else where. To succeed in your niche you need to review products for a niche audience (Camera product reviews) for example. Content for people who are looking to buy camera related products for example

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm going to have to agree with Krisfire, because over my 3 years on youtube (2 1/2 on another channel) I have learned so much, and most of it has been from the big channels tutorials, or just observing what big youtubers do. A lot of my knowledge is just from trial and error though, and if I can help people skip that part, it allows them to succeed faster, which I believe is something we all want. For me, it's not a question of if I will succeed, it's when. Eventually I will get to a point where my videos have so much effort put into them with high efficiency, that anything else I could add would not be worth the time I put into it, and that's coming from someone who thought it was worth 4 hours of my time to make an intro to one of my videos, that would never be used again. If you believe that your opinion and knowledge is superior to small channels because you hit the sweet spot in the algorithm by accident, you are sorely mistaken. And if you have been working several years trying to get here, then I congratulate you on that, cause for most people it never happens. But don't put yourself on a pedestal just because of your sub/view count.

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
You have barely uploaded 10 videos for a certain niche. Most tech channel audiences are dominated by professionals, so therefore anyone who is looking for reviews or tech product content is going to search else where. To succeed in your niche you need to review products for a niche audience (Camera product reviews) for example. Content for people who are looking to buy camera related products for example
Gatekeeping much? I’m well aware of this. I have videos I’m working on, I’m not a tech channel and not all of my videos are reviews or products. I’m a film channel, I do tutorials, reviews, creative help for filmmakers and the like. Is it the best plan for growth? Nope. Not at all, but I’m actually making stuff I like as opposed to content I hate which is good enough for me.

Not sure what any of that had to do with my response. I honestly feel like my point was proven, a good video isn’t determined by channel size or how many people it reaches.

I’ve know people who have content on par with Hollywood but their channel has 20 subs, that doesn’t mean they suck, that just means they have to work on their marketing. They have the creative aspect down.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
90% of YouTube is understanding the audience for your specific type of content, making sure your brand and content is relevant for that audience.
Yes. And how do you know who your target audience is and how to reach them? By understanding marketing, branding and networking. See my previous post.

Zadey, you are not listening to what people are saying. I make a point about the fact I have knowledge to offer that doesn't relate to my channel and you respond by telling me how to run my niche. @Krisfire makes a point about how he has years of experience and knowledge about film making and camera's an you respond by saying he only has 10 videos uploaded and how he should run his niche.

We are not looking for your advice. We are debating the statement you made in your first post.
You are literally not even responding to the words we are saying because you are looking at the numbers on our channels. That is extremely arrogant and condescending.

Zadey

Reaction score
Yes. And how do you know who your target audience is and how to reach them? By understanding marketing, branding and networking. See my previous post.

Zadey, you are not listening to what people are saying. I make a point about the fact I have knowledge to offer that doesn't relate to my channel and you respond by telling me how to run my niche. @Krisfire makes a point about how he has years of experience and knowledge about film making and camera's an you respond by saying he only has 10 videos uploaded and how he should run his niche.

We are not looking for your advice. We are debating the statement you made in your first post.
You are literally not even responding to the words we are saying because you are looking at the numbers on our channels. That is extremely arrogant and condescending.

My bad, since I assume most people are on this site to grow their channel. I've seen the majority of people disagree with my post. The problem with this forum is many people here do not understand how internet audiences work.

Yes it's true large channels perhaps might not understand how they grew. It's true small channels can act as a consumer of content and offer their opinion. But many people are not achieving results and professional help from an analyst or successful youtuber would be alot more beneficial.

I'm not trying to be condescending, but many people have the wrong approach to youtube and this forum can create a negative effect because people start blaming algorithms. Anyone who has posted content for 6 months without 1k subs just doesn't understand the platform and its nuances. The owner of this forum posts random content for no clear defined audience which I find ironic.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
The problem with this forum is many people here do not understand how internet audiences work.
And apparently you do? Then please do share the wisdom. Write a tutorial. That's what this forum is for.

and professional help from an analyst or successful youtuber would be alot more beneficial.
And who are you to determine that the people behind the username aren't professional annalists? You are dismissing people due to the size of their channel, without taking into account their educations and/or professions.

Anyone who has posted content for 6 months without 1k subs just doesn't understand the platform and its nuances.
Growth and success is determined by so many factors. You can't just state that 1K in 6 months is the margin. Again, you are apparently an expert in YT and all it's nuances, so instead of sitting on your high horse telling everyone how bad they are for not having the numbers you find so important, step down and help your community! That's what this forum is for.

The owner of this forum posts random content for no clear defined audience which I find ironic.
And again, you are judging someone on their channel instead of the actions they display. Crown is our FORUM ADMIN. Not YT God. Have you ever been an admin of a forum? Because I have, for several years, and I can tell you that Crown (and Katy in that respect) do a damn good job in keeping this forum organised, keeping us informed about YT updates and creating a nice atmosphere. Which you aren't doing at all. Don't judge people based on their channel for completely UNRELATED things!

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
And apparently you do? Then please do share the wisdom. Write a tutorial. That's what this forum is for.

And who are you to determine that the people behind the username aren't professional annalists? You are dismissing people due to the size of their channel, without taking into account their educations and/or professions.

Growth and success is determined by so many factors. You can't just state that 1K in 6 months is the margin. Again, you are apparently an expert in YT and all it's nuances, so instead of sitting on your high horse telling everyone how bad they are for not having the numbers you find so important, step down and help your community! That's what this forum is for.

And again, you are judging someone on their channel instead of the actions they display. Crown is our FORUM ADMIN. Not YT God. Have you ever been an admin of a forum? Because I have, for several years, and I can tell you that Crown (and Katy in that respect) do a damn good job in keeping this forum organised, keeping us informed about YT updates and creating a nice atmosphere. Which you aren't doing at all. Don't judge people based on their channel for completely UNRELATED things!
Wish I could add something to this but damn, well said. You nailed everything I wanted to say but better than I could’ve lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad