Should you take advice from smaller channels?

Zadey

Reaction score
So I've been around the forum lately and I've observed the majority of channels from this forum I see don't even reach 100 views per video. Which is dangerously low, here's my thoughts

Should you take advice from other people who are not "successful" on YouTube? I know the typical reason people come to this forum is because they are struggling on YouTube or need help. The problem is, the people who are successful often leave the forum since they no longer need it.

The truth is, even 10k views per video you will not make an good income from YouTube. Which is why I didn't consider myself a successful youtuber, but I really want people to consider whether they should ask this community for advice consider the state of many of these youtube channels.

Reactions: Fost

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I think everyone's opinion is valid. Everyone has a different story and experiences which can help see things from a different perspective.

I don't think absolute size of a channel is a criteria to take into account before deciding if someone's advice is useful. Everything is relative. A channel with 200,000 subs is HUGE compared to a channel with 1,000 subs but that same channel is TINY compared to pewdiepie. So does that mean we should wait for pewdiepie to sign up here and enlighten us all? :) Not to mention, there is no guarantee that "big successful" channels know why they became "big" anyway.

If a "small" channel does something new that gets him/her 200 views per day on a new video, rather than their usual 50 views per day and offers their advice, then people should sit up and listen because relatively speaking, that's significant growth.

Zadey

Reaction score
Yes, but considering how many channels can reach even 50K subscribers, taking advice from a channel without 1K views per video seems like a waste. I've seen some popular channels here, and most of them abandon the site.

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Noooooo..... you're thinking about this the COMPLETELY wrong way, and are honestly coming across a bit arrogant whether you meant to or not. Just because someone doesn't have a whole bunch of subs or views, doesn't mean that they don't have advice for you. Simon Cowell can not sing- but he has a record label. He judges' people's talent all the time. Never sings though. Are you also saying if someone doesn't have a channel at all they can't give advice? Because they have NO subs or viewers. They are your audience. That advice is VERY valuable. Also, most of us are also consumers of content and we know what we like and don't. We can tell if you are entertaining. That doesn't depend on subs.
There are also people on here that have experience in entertainment OFFLINE. So maybe get your ego in check because viewership and subscribers aren't an indication of intelligence, or validity.

I'm not being a b***h. I'm telling the truth in a critical and blunt way. Seriously, humble yourself- it will help you in the long run.

Galore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What's good Zadey been a min lol we used to mm ima sub to you even though you never upload
But yeah in my opinion I would be quicker to take a larger channels advice then a smaller just cause they have the experience but everyone has advice that I don't ignore.

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
So I've been around the forum lately and I've observed the majority of channels from this forum I see don't even reach 100 views per video. Which is dangerously low, here's my thoughts

Should you take advice from other people who are not "successful" on YouTube? I know the typical reason people come to this forum is because they are struggling on YouTube or need help. The problem is, the people who are successful often leave the forum since they no longer need it.

The truth is, even 10k views per video you will not make an good income from YouTube. Which is why I didn't consider myself a successful youtuber, but I really want people to consider whether they should ask this community for advice consider the state of many of these youtube channels.
Honestly I could care less, I usually avoid advice. But I like ya'll stories and the support some on here show me.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
taking advice from a channel without 1K views per video seems like a waste.
Wauw, harsh.

Look, just because someones channel isn't taking off, doesn't mean they can't advise you on things. My channel has been stuck around 200 subs for like a year, but I can still inform people about marketing, branding and networking because I have a Bachelor education in Hospitality Management. I can still offer my review on your video or overall look of the channel, cause those things rely on personal opinions.

Writing of someones advice just because their channel isn't big is extremely arrogant and frankly dumb. I'm a travel vlogger, I have NO clue what I'm doing half the time. But you bet I can explain to you why your descriptions suck, because I know the ground rules of SEO. I know how to research, I know how to rephrase information so people can understand something more easily (even if I'm not the greatest at using that information myself). Are all those things worthless, just because my channel is small? I would think not.

Giving advice and voicing your opinion are completely separate from the success of ones channel. Because that channel may lie out of their zone of comfort and expertise. I've seen people with bigger channels then mine spout absolute nonsense. A big channel does not equal good advice.

Jeff

Hey There!
Reaction score
So does that mean we should wait for pewdiepie to sign up here and enlighten us all? :) Not to mention, there is no guarantee that "big successful" channels know why they became "big" anyway.
Well, @ijustine signed up a few years ago and didn't post anything so... I'm still waiting on those sweet YouTube growth secrets she has. :D I died with laughter at the first sentence, haha. Very valid point.

Also, back to the thread OP, I understand where you're coming from... but you're looking at it through the wrong lens. Some larger creators owe their "growth" due to a shoutout, a questionable controversy, or simply because they started creating content at a certain time. Let's take LeafyIsHere, a controversial and inactive creator. He was once and still is a "large channel". He started gaining popularity due to his "edgy" content and bullying others, along with a demand for gameplay commentary at the time (which has now declined). What would his advice be? Good advice? I think not.

Giving advice and voicing your opinion are completely separate from the success of ones channel. Because that channel may lie out of their zone of comfort and expertise. I've seen people with bigger channels then mine spout absolute nonsense. A big channel does not equal good advice.
This analysis hits the nail on the head. By the same logic, if a YouTube Partner Manager has a small channel... they aren't qualified to give advice. Channel size shouldn't matter. Who cares if the channel is small? If they have valid and good advice, then there's no issue with it.

Last edited: