Should you hide the number of subs you have?

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
IMHO: the only reason to hide subs is because you don’t have any. To me it’s a giant red flag.

To me as a viewer, it’s totally exciting to watch a video and like it and realize it’s the “under dog” channel. I’d be more likely to subscribe to help the channel grow if I saw they were just starting. We’d all love to say “I was one of <insert popular YouTuber>’s first 100 subscribers!”

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Thank you so much for all your replies!

It seems most of you agree that is better not to hide the amounts of subscribers your channel has. I thought about and even though I have almost no subscribers, I'm receiving nice comments of people saying they like my videos or that they look from someone with 5k-10k subscribers.

The day someone tells me “I was one of <insert popular YouTuber>’s first 100 subscribers!” I'm going to throw a party, I love that comment so much! :bounce:

Emerrias

Reaction score
Personally I prefer transparency. I dont understand why someone would hide the count. It would stop me from subbing I think.
I have never hidden my sub count and so far I am doing OK.
Agree with this but for some people I think it works when hiding sub-count

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QuickTop 10's/5's

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would say keep your Subscribers view able I think your Subscribers would actually appreciate the fact that you are comfortable even with a smaller number and that they still matter to you, when you Subscribe to someone and see the number you feel like you are apart of a community no matter how big or small that community is.
and in the words of my favorite TV Show character Tyrion Lannister: Wear it like armor, then it can never be used to hurt you. (That was cheesy I know) but it provides a good point try and get comfortable with a low number that way if people insult you about it or don't Subscribe to you because of it you can brush it off and move on.

Reactions: GameVestment

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No reason to hide it... We all started out with zero subs:) Most people understand that it takes time to build up an audience and if your content is good and you do your SEO-work you will get more subscribers so dont worry about it

Reactions: GameVestment

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
DEFINITELY NOT.

I've personally never subscribed to a channel with the sub count hidden. To me, this comes across as some sort of insecurity in the creator about the reach they're getting. On YouTube, your viewers want to feel connected with you so you need to have an honest relationship with them. A huge part of honesty is at least letting your viewers know how many subs you have.

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
As with everyone else: don't do it.
Having a sub count is the standard way of doing things.
Hiding it makes me immediately wonder why is it hidden.