Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey everyone! I'm a one month old YouTube channel.

And I want to discuss with you guys on "how to be funny" in your videos.
And no, you can't force humor. Well you can, but in most cases it's not funny.

What you can do tho is if you want to say something funny about a specific subject.
Try and look at it from a different perceptive and say alot of stuff and once you have enough material,
you can try and get someone elses opinon.
If you do this a few times you will automaticlly learn what works and what not. In most cases.

Is it necessary to be funny? Well, yes and no acording to me.
The downsize is that if the watcher doesn't have the same type of humor as you, they might not want to watch your stuff anymore.
But on the plus side, if they find it funny, the chances of them wanting to return is much higher!

For me the biggest obstacle is when you listen to your joke several times.
Especially when editing.
You hear the same joke over and over until it lost meaning and doesn't seem funny anymore.
How do you work around that?
Well the rule for me is, if I thought it was funny the first time I said it, the chances are that it will still be funny for someone who hasn't heard it.

Please if you have any more tips, I would be more than happy to hear them!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
As long as it flows naturally, humor could be awesome! If someone tries to force it, it has a higher risk to become cringe!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I guess most of the channels I am subscribed to use humor in their videos. None of them are comedy channels and none of them seem to be forced humor either. I dont need a channel to make my laugh out loud but to crack a smile is good.

NoirAscii

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I've noticed that humour in general is incredibly subjective. It's dependant on what type of humour is your style, whether it's slapstick, observational, one liners, etc.
For instance, my kind of humour is observational mixed with sarcasm, so it's fairly natural for me to just make those kind of jokes off the cuff. However if your humour is more slapstick or one liner/pun style, then the content has to match both your audience and your content.

Take Cryaotic for example, he is observational, which fits nicely with a let's play channel. Whereas if he decided to all of a sudden do 'knock knock' jokes, it'd feel forced and completely out of place with the format.

Ragic Gaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As long as it flows naturally, humor could be awesome! If someone tries to force it, it has a higher risk to become cringe!
Exactly! But I don't record my voice live with the video. I write down the script and record it afterwards.
Works better in my situation :)

I guess most of the channels I am subscribed to use humor in their videos. None of them are comedy channels and none of them seem to be forced humor either. I dont need a channel to make my laugh out loud but to crack a smile is good.
Yeah I totally agree. It doesn't need to make you laugh out loud but if the video make you crack a smile,they tend to be much more entertaining.[DOUBLEPOST=1490098299,1490097991][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've noticed that humour in general is incredibly subjective. It's dependant on what type of humour is your style, whether it's slapstick, observational, one liners, etc.
For instance, my kind of humour is observational mixed with sarcasm, so it's fairly natural for me to just make those kind of jokes off the cuff. However if your humour is more slapstick or one liner/pun style, then the content has to match both your audience and your content.

Take Cryaotic for example, he is observational, which fits nicely with a let's play channel. Whereas if he decided to all of a sudden do 'knock knock' jokes, it'd feel forced and completely out of place with the format.
Very true!
For me, it almost depends on what mood I am in. Same goes for coming up with jokes for videos. Sometimes it just blank. And other times when I don't even think about it, something pops into my head.
I think that's an important factor. Don't always think you will be at top. It kind of is like playing games. Sometimes you play like a pro, other times you suck.

I'm gonna check out Cryaotic :)

BrokenGames

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Should you force humor...... no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no and no. If you are a more serious person, I'm sure people will like you for you, and if something is funny, it'll be funny because of the way it flows with everything, unlike a forced joke that's only funny because of the punchline itself.