Should small channels starting out post daily?

JaxJocular

Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is I have a gaming channel, but because Im so small I feel degraded whenever nobody watches my upload. I was watching a MatPat video about pewds and he said sometimes less uploads are better then more. What do you guys think? And on a side note do you think to avoid editing and cropping out parts you just have to talk alot and be interesting?

AdmUp

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
In the case of PewDiePie then yes, most likely. If someone like him didn't upload for about a month you're going to wonder why or want to watch him. So as soon as he uploads, that video will get a lot of attention. In the case of smaller channels. Not so much. This all comes down to opinion. I personally think as a small channel, the more videos you upload the bigger your net for catching attention. Varied content helps too. If it's always something like minecraft it's going to get lost in the crowd. If it's varied with different games then you're audience expands.

Steggs101

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As far as I know, YT likes to promote new content; there was a whole big thing a couple of months back about YouTubers views going down because their older stuff wasn't being suggested as much (this is a big "I think", so maybe someone with more knowledge can confirm). For this reason, I'd say it would be better to upload daily, but only if you can keep up a good quality of content.

I've been uploading every day for almost 3 months, and making sure to SEO the balls off my videos. My results still aren't "incredible" but I'm happy with almost hitting 100 subs in 3 months. It's exhausting, particularly if you work full time (or do school etc) and there's been a lot of sacrifices on the social side of life, but I enjoy doing it!

Remember when you're starting out, you're not going to get a ton of views. You need to optimise your SEO as much as possible to stand any chance of being seen by anyone.

AmuseYourBrain

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agreed. I think yes, it should upload almost every day. I am also new, and I upload once twice a week, but honestly i feel i should upload much more. Wish you best luck :)

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends. If you upload too often, a small % of your subs will watch each video. This triggers low sub engagement in the algo, and your videos will be less promoted. If you space your uploads too far apart, subs may forget about you, although not likely if it's only a few days. For a new channel, aim for 1 quality videos every 2-3 days. Monitor real-time traffic on analytics, when it peaks, release another video with cards and end screens all setup to take advantage of traffic. When starting out, upload frequency is not as important as fun, engaging videos that provide great entertainment.

Reactions: Kristeen

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I always say that you should post on a schedule that works for you. Yes, growth can happen more quickly with more frequent uploads, but I've seen a LOT of channels in the two-plus years I have been on YouTube burn themselves out within months because they tried for a way too aggressive upload schedule than they can handle.

Also, as a viewer (and I started out as an avid YouTube viewer before I became a creator), I can get very bored with seeing lots of not-so-enthusiastic uploads from creators in my subscription feed. I'd rather see your best work once a week or a couple times a week than a "whatever" type of upload because you think it's going to make your channel grow quickly.

mattv2099

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When you are new the focus should be on learning how to craft a good video. And learning about, SEO, how to make a good thumbnail and title. Upload as much as you can while still being able to put enough effort into your vids to make it worthwhile use of your time.

CrowYo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm personally starting off with everyday for a few weeks to see how it goes, and will adjust based on that. Uploaded my first video late last night so doing a double upload deal to get it on track, but when I do post videos I am going to be basing it off the peak times to post in order to possibly get more of an audience.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I always say that you should post on a schedule that works for you. Yes, growth can happen more quickly with more frequent uploads, but I've seen a LOT of channels in the two-plus years I have been on YouTube burn themselves out within months because they tried for a way too aggressive upload schedule than they can handle.

Also, as a viewer (and I started out as an avid YouTube viewer before I became a creator), I can get very bored with seeing lots of not-so-enthusiastic uploads from creators in my subscription feed. I'd rather see your best work once a week or a couple times a week than a "whatever" type of upload because you think it's going to make your channel grow quickly.
Agree with this. It really depends on what you can do and what you're trying to achieve with your channel, but at the same time, you need to understand that churning out videos every day is not the magical piece of the puzzle that will miraculously bring you more subscribers.

Plenty of YouTubers have gained a decent following even without daily uploads and with irregular schedule. My singing channel for example. I haven't uploaded in over a year and in the years that I did upload, I uploaded maybe once every 1 - 3 months. Yet, the channel is still gaining around 300 subscribers a month purely because of my content and my SEO. It's really about your overall content strategy that matters, and that depends on your own personal situation.