Should I Stop Using A Stage Name?

Kaitlyn Moore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
So my channel name is actually is a stage name and it's not even close to my real name. But I was wondering if I should start using my real name, or is it not safe to use my actual first and middle name? I only did a stage name because I was worried about stalkers and creepy people trying to find my personal social media accounts and whatnot. But don't I need my real name for sponsorship and to make money off youtube in the future? And if I ever got big and got to tour or do meetups or something going by my stage name would probably confuse me half the time. I'm currently 16 (17 in June) so I was just wondering if it is sage to reveal my name and make everything easier so I won't have to hide my name or blur anything out when filming.

Reactions: imJasonleo

imJasonleo

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
The way I reason it is, if in the future someone looks you up with your real name, are you going to be ok with what they find on the internet? Your content seems like its fine, in the future it might also be an asset, use your real name. Its YOUR channel, you shouldn't have to hide from it. If for instance you are applying for a job, you can list that you have a YouTube channel with blank amount of subscribers. Which could prove your dedication.

That being said, do be careful to not release sensitive information. Your name alright, but be careful not to go beyond that, addresses, social sec numbers, credit cards, even your license, don't show on camera.

Its really up to you though. If you don't feel comfortable using your real name, keep using the other one.

- Regards.

Reactions: Boki and tahlia

tahlia

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd agree with Jason ^
If you're comfortable with it, I'd probably suggest using your real name. As long as you're careful with the rest of your private details, I don't really think sharing your real name would be unsafe, especially just your first & middle names. There are probably a ton of people with the exact same first names so I don't think it'd make your personal accounts that easy to find.
Obviously the choice is 100% yours, but there's my 2 cents :)

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Just watch out because I found that if I search my name I can find my current address and number. I have NO clue how. Maybe my information was sold. :( It's stupid.

Reactions: tahlia

Kaitlyn Moore

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Just watch out because I found that if I search my name I can find my current address and number. I have NO clue how. Maybe my information was sold. :( It's stupid.
Oh my goodness i'm so sorry that happend! I think I should be good since I'm a teenager so I don't really have anything that would be posted around my name and adress and i'm homeschooled so they can't find me through schools ethier :)

Reactions: CristyTango

Seenix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's up to you really. Obviously, for sponsorships you need to tell them your real name, but your fans may like the personality that comes from a stage name? Like DanTDM, Jacksepticeye, the list goes on.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Honestly, I'd suggest keeping a stage name. It's safer, and as your channel grows, you're going to get nosy people googling you trying to find your house and stuff. >.>

MASE

I've Got It
Reaction score
It depends on your content and how comfortable you are. You can always change it later. I like to see entertainers with 'stage' names. When you think of PewDiePie, do you think of Felix? If you are doing more educational type videos or vlogs, either way works. And you can always change things..