Should I Start A Series That Takes Less Effort?

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hey, all. I want to know if it's a good idea to start a new series on my channel that takes less time and effort to make.
My "review" videos take weeks to make, with the recording, scripting, voice recording, and then editing.
I thought about starting a new series of videos that don't take as long to produce, mainly so I can upload more frequently.
My idea was the reboot a series that I made 2 years ago about going onto the Wayback Machine and exploring that, making jokes and such along the video. Is this a good idea, or not?

Reactions: ProfessionalRik

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
If you have the motivation and that is what you want to do go ahead :)

ProfessionalRik

Gaming Culture's Icon
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sounds pretty cool. I'm always a fan of revisiting old ideas because your new perspective will give you the skills to refine and improve the concepts. The way I see it, you have 2 options, yo.

1) Start production on your new/old series.
2) Find a way to make your current reviews less work.

Either way; it's +500 exp.

OnlyGameplay

The Real OG
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you can make it interesting and you enjoy it, go for it!
The one thing I'd keep in mind though, is whether the Wayback Machine videos fit in with your channel. Will somebody who likes your game review want to subscribe when they see that they'll mostly be getting non-gaming videos in their subscriptions?

TheGameGateway

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like the idea of you trying something new to increase your output of videos, but your fan base might not be expecting or want this type of change, especially if they subscribed to see the content you're currently creating. So to appease your current audience I would suggest not entirely dropping your current format, but simply put less time into it. Say for example right now your videos take 2 weeks each to make, I would make two or three "filler" videos which are easier to make like your idea you mentioned while taking a little bit of time each day to work on your review videos, so instead of releasing a review video every 2 weeks, it's one every month. That way you keep your old audience happy, attract a new audience and it's slightly easier depending on how you work it.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video ideas/planning forum. ^^

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you can make it interesting and you enjoy it, go for it!
The one thing I'd keep in mind though, is whether the Wayback Machine videos fit in with your channel. Will somebody who likes your game review want to subscribe when they see that they'll mostly be getting non-gaming videos in their subscriptions?
That's the one thing I'm worried about. However, it's worked before for other channels (namely SomeOrdinaryGamers when they used to do "Nostalgic Web Browsing"

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I agree with @TheGameGateway, you don't want to lose your current subs and I do like the idea they put forth. What I would try to do is maybe find a way to make those faster. Maybe you can reuse the opening / closing each week like a tv show does. Maybe find a different way to shoot them to where the editing wouldn't take so long. I don't know if these are actually what is making them take longer - just examples.

Check your stats too, If they aren't staying to the end then maybe there is something there you can cut, etc.

Hope this helps.