Should I start a new channel, or just make my current one more broad?

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a small channel that's specific to my exercise pursuits from a person with a spinal cord injury perspective. I have several other ideas, should I start a separate channel that I can post a wide view of topics on, or should I just post everything on my exercise channel and make it more open and personal than just the one topic?

Thank you for the help,
Ian

Reactions: Paperblossem

FrankenPixelGaming

Professional Introvert
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'd have to agree with the person above. Your channel is yours, you can put whatever you want on it. If you want to branch out more and put different kinds of content up, then you're absolutely free to do so. Fans of your work will be happy to watch, give advice, ect.

Kelly_dexter

Reaction score
I have a small channel that's specific to my exercise pursuits from a person with a spinal cord injury perspective. I have several other ideas, should I start a separate channel that I can post a wide view of topics on, or should I just post everything on my exercise channel and make it more open and personal than just the one topic?

Thank you for the help,
Ian
just do what you feel is right,

Reactions: abacoIan

Paperblossem

Reaction score
Now that is a good question!

Thank you for the help,
Ian
This is how I could answer the question:

For some topics you need specific YouTube channels, but for some topics you don't have to worry about posting them on the same channel.

For example:

Gaming, vlogging and comedy videos could be posted on the same channel. I don't understand why people make an apart gaming channel, an apart vlogging channel and an apart comedy channel. These 3 types of videos are all in the entertainment section, so it's okay to post them together.

Computers, electronica, PC tutorials and other tech stuff should be on an apart channel from the entertainment videos.

Make-up, mall hauls, shopping guides and other beauty stuff also needs an apart channel. For example, Jeff Dunham doesn't have to know how to do an eyeliner because he doesn't need it. xD

But for you… in your case I do not recommend to have a YouTube channel. You want to give Medical advice to people. I recommend you to have a Tumblr blog. YouTube is a place with 23 million active accounts every day (according to the front page of Social Blade) so the chance of your channel being discovered in such a small target audience is not even close to 1% while Tumblr has more possibility of finding your target audience by using the right hashtags and follow accounts related to yours. You can even let your followers ask anonymous questions.

Please keep in mind that I do not hate you and I don't want you to go away from YouTube, I'm simply saying that in your case a Tumblr blog could be better.

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice day. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Reactions: abacoIan

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The standard advice is to keep seperates genres seperate. I have 5 channels and each are different. If I put all the content into 1 channel would I benefit? I dont think so.
I think my near 150k subscriber channel is this 'big' because the viewer knows what to expect from my content.
My very first channel was a mish mash of stuffs and didnt grow until I made it a niche channel.

The next advice is to do what makes you happy. Do want you want to do.

Lasty - experiment? Upload some stuffs. See if it works / interests your viewers and make a decision yourself based on the actual results.

Reactions: darksmokeyt

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The standard advice is to keep seperates genres seperate. I have 5 channels and each are different. If I put all the content into 1 channel would I benefit? I dont think so.
I think my near 150k subscriber channel is this 'big' because the viewer knows what to expect from my content.
My very first channel was a mish mash of stuffs and didnt grow until I made it a niche channel.

The next advice is to do what makes you happy. Do want you want to do.

Lasty - experiment? Upload some stuffs. See if it works / interests your viewers and make a decision yourself based on the actual results.
This is true. Large channels can suffer from changing their content due to low CTR.

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Now that is a good question!This is how I could answer the question:

For some topics you need specific YouTube channels, but for some topics you don't have to worry about posting them on the same channel.

For example:

Gaming, vlogging and comedy videos could be posted on the same channel. I don't understand why people make an apart gaming channel, an apart vlogging channel and an apart comedy channel. These 3 types of videos are all in the entertainment section, so it's okay to post them together.

Computers, electronica, PC tutorials and other tech stuff should be on an apart channel from the entertainment videos.

Make-up, mall hauls, shopping guides and other beauty stuff also needs an apart channel. For example, Jeff Dunham doesn't have to know how to do an eyeliner because he doesn't need it. xD

But for you… in your case I do not recommend to have a YouTube channel. You want to give Medical advice to people. I recommend you to have a Tumblr blog. YouTube is a place with 23 million active accounts every day (according to the front page of Social Blade) so the chance of your channel being discovered in such a small target audience is not even close to 1% while Tumblr has more possibility of finding your target audience by using the right hashtags and follow accounts related to yours. You can even let your followers ask anonymous questions.

Please keep in mind that I do not hate you and I don't want you to go away from YouTube, I'm simply saying that in your case a Tumblr blog could be better.

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice day. [emoji4]et

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
I am happy to know that you do not hate me! Lol. I understand what your saying, I get it. For my "medical" channel, it's something I share to help others but it also helps me to express where I'm coming from and what I'm going through. So if I only have a few followers it is still a great outlet for me. Thank you for the feedback