Should I monetize from the beginning?

Drawingum

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Tough question. I moetize my videos. I didn't do it from the beginning, but even though I am not a super famous youtube, I now do it. Because even if it is pennies, at least I will have those pennies, and it doesn't discourage at all people from seing my videos actually, I even got 50+ new subscribers this month compared to last month where I had no monetisation. So if you want to do it, just do it. Don't be afraid to scare people away, it won't.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Because even if it is pennies, at least I will have those pennies, and it doesn't discourage at all people from seing my videos actually, I even got 50+ new subscribers this month compared to last month where I had no monetisation.
Those are only your pennies once you earn over $100. Otherwise, those are and will remain Google's.

How can you be so sure that monetizing didn't hurt your viewing numbers? While congratulations on growing your channel, there's no way of knowing it it could have been more if they weren't faced with pre-roll ads instead of your videos.

Reactions: Sabrina

BoozeandBS

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I monetized right from the start. Personally I think it's dumb not to. like some have mentioned everyone has ads on their videos so people are used to it. Having ads is hardly a deterring factor anymore. I started my channel in June 2015 and have around 50 videos and am just about to reach 3 thousand subs. You never know which videos are going to get you lots of views. I had 1 video sit at 2k views for 3 months then it blew up and has 11k. Making me about $40 in a week. but it also brought in people to view other videos. So you never know when things are going to take off. monetizing early gives you a goal to reach $100. the first hundred took the longest. but last month I brought in about $80 and this month about $60 so far. if you don't monetize from the start you can't learn the videos that generate the highest rpm. So you would be setting yourself up to get in bad habits. My advice is monetize and use the goal of $100 to motivate you to make more.

Anti-Hype

Reaction score
Yeah skippable ads are pretty normal to see from most channels these days. Anyone who really has an issue with having to wait 5 seconds to skip an ad probably has ad blocker. I monetized from the start. Just because I figured it wouldn't hurt. By any means i'd at least activate adsense. Just in case a video DOES take off you will be able to quickly monetize it if you're looking for revenue.