Should I monetize from the beginning?

SuperNintendudez

Reaction score
I'm conflicted on it. When I see a small channel do it, I can only imagine they're in it for the money. If there was a chance at making good money from it, I totally understand it, but if you're not getting like 1,000 views a video and uploading frequently, the money you make is almost negligible. You say it'd be good money because you're not working, but you will absolutely not make enough money for that. You have a cool channel premise, and I can see your channel getting relatively popular fairly fast, so why rush it? To me, it shows you don't care about interaction, and don't care about viewers. And maybe that isn't the case, but it's just how I've always seen it. It's grasping at every penny, and possible even less. I would wait until you're at the point where you're getting at least several hundred views a video before monetizing your videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1477679457,1477679434][/DOUBLEPOST]
For now, I think I will just enable Overlay ads on my videos, that way people wont be chased away by skippable ads or anything.
This is a good way to do it also!

Hendrik Kapp

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm conflicted on it. When I see a small channel do it, I can only imagine they're in it for the money. If there was a chance at making good money from it, I totally understand it, but if you're not getting like 1,000 views a video and uploading frequently, the money you make is almost negligible. You say it'd be good money because you're not working, but you will absolutely not make enough money for that. You have a cool channel premise, and I can see your channel getting relatively popular fairly fast, so why rush it? To me, it shows you don't care about interaction, and don't care about viewers. And maybe that isn't the case, but it's just how I've always seen it. It's grasping at every penny, and possible even less. I would wait until you're at the point where you're getting at least several hundred views a video before monetizing your videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1477679457,1477679434][/DOUBLEPOST]

This is a good way to do it also!
This for me is really solid advice. I think I am going to demonetize my videos for now and wait until I get more views on my video before I decide to start monetizing. The last thing I want is for my viewers to think I am in it for the money and not for the passion. Thanks again for your honesty.

Reactions: Victor@Epiphan

Victor@Epiphan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
In my opinion, I would refrain from it until you get at least 10K subscribers.

When you start up, your main goal should be attain maximum exposure and followers, and advertising may get in the way of that.

Once you've reached the point of a "snowball effect", it's time to turn ads on and monetize! If you're committed, you'll actually end up making more in the end since it will be easier for you to reach a critical mass of subscribers.

Reactions: Hendrik Kapp

itsaquagemini

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For now, I think I will just enable Overlay ads on my videos, that way people wont be chased away by skippable ads or anything.
Do you get money for overlay ads? I didn't even know that was an option :eek:

SuperNintendudez

Reaction score
You think its worth it then though? If you don't have that many views?
I don't think they are. I think the main way you make money off of those is if people click on them also, so just viewing them alone won't bring in much of anything. They definitely bring in less than the normal ads that play before or after videos, though.

CMTXRATED

I Is Batman
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
M
Should I wait until I have more subscribers before I start monetizing my videos? if so, when would be a good time to start monetizing?
monitize from beggining, be a pain having to do it later

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've moved your thread to the monetization forum.

NeonCinema

Reaction score
Monetize your videos by all means but try to avoid the really annoying ones (like video ads), those ads can annoy viewers to the point that they don't bother waiting after the ad, youll lose out on views