Should I just straight up talk or write a script

RooThaDude

Reaction score
I've always made my videos by just talking right from my head instead of having a script, but there's a little bit of a dilemma

If I write a script, it'll take 1-2 extra hours to finish a video, which may mean I can upload less often but gives my video a little extra flare and quality

If I just wing it and talk, which I can do pretty decently, I still get the same amount of views etc. but the quality of the video is slightly lower

So should I take the route of winging it and getting more uploads or uploading less by taking the time to write a script?

Here's one with a written script:
Here's one without a script:

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
If something or some topic is better off with a level of conjecture and experience, then maybe a script is not needed. Something that is more specific and require detail will benefit from a script.
Maybe you can try simply having talking points or an outline.

skagenstats

Reaction score
Website
skagenstats.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally have notes that I write to keep my thoughts organized, but as far a a verbatim script, i've never used one. I think it depends on your content and your audience's prefer-ability. If you find it more comfortable with having a set script, go with that. Either way, you'll find what works for you.

rayleigh92

Reaction score
A script can help you be coherent with the things that you'll discuss. Although, it'll take some time at least the quality of your content is guaranteed given that you proofread your work. If you want to record directly, having an outline where you can read the segment you want to discuss in bullet form can help you with consistency and avoid talking too much that may lead you out of your context.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
In my opinion some sort of outline is worth the effort. Especially when it comes to tech reviews. Good luck with the channel :)

PureAutism

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
you should try scripting as it would prevent you from sounding too lost or confused unless you are telling a life story,reading from a script can also save you time as you dont have to edit out parts where you sound confused or lost or parts which you just dont like

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A script is always a good idea if you ask me. You don´t have to follow the script 100% but it´s always good to have a script ready

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I use an outline, not a script. My vids are more of a hanging out, touring, drinking... No script really needed. An outline serves my purpose well enough.
Depending on your topic - a script may be best. I watch a Disney history channel and he is obviously scripted, but with all the dates and data, he has to be scripted.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A script is always a good idea if you ask me. You don´t have to follow the script 100% but it´s always good to have a script ready
From a general point of view, I agree with Dave2017 totally!
It's like the storyboard to film-making. It allows you to better foresee the road ahead. It may seem like it's more work and time, but in the end, it saves you both.

However, in your particular case, after watching about 2 minutes from each I agree with you when you say that your scriptless videos turn out very decently. In fact, I did not notice any lack of confidence in what you were saying, nor in the delivery. You seemed just about the same to me.
Why don't you do a couple and see what kind of results you get, how it translates in your Analytics stats. Hopefully, they'll actually improve upon the previous ones. If they do, then you may want to continue with this new way.
If your stats stay the same, then it may not be worth the change.
Admittedly, I am (most likely) newer to this stuff, therefore take my 2 cents with a fist of salt.

I wish you the best.

SteviesLilWorld

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd say reading from a script wouldn't sound as natural, if you can do just fine without one then I'd write notes and go over in your head what you want to say.
Some people can do that way, some people can be completely spontaneously funny and entertaining, some people need scripts.

As for me, even with a script I'm a complete mess. I rehearse and practice several times and still haven't even managed a voice over.