Should I have music or no?

Have music or just the natural sounds recorded.

• Music

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No Music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Music - add voice over/text overlays

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love bacon

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

SoFloSXS

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've gotten a few people to comment that they'd prefer to not have music and just have the audio of the SXS ripping down the trails. Possibly adding in some audio over the video's to explain things.

If anyone had the time to check out a video on my channel and tell me your thoughts I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll also add a poll if you could take the time to fill out if you like it with music or would prefer it without. I'd greatly appreciate it.

(Channel is in my signature)

Pancake

Lonely Weirdo
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator, Other
I would say play around a bit. Try putting music in some parts of the video and not in others to emphasize certain scenes or action. I'd say keep music on the drone shots. Some POV shots could have no music or reduced volume music.

I know the channel is showcasing vehicles and paths, but don't be afraid to contain dialogue of you and your friends' conversations while riding (like I see how
"2016 RZR XP Turbo vs 2016 Maverick 1000R" has dialogue); Don't fake enthusiasm, but put some personality into it.

SoFloSXS

Reaction score
I would say play around a bit. Try putting music in some parts of the video and not in others to emphasize certain scenes or action. I'd say keep music on the drone shots. Some POV shots could have no music or reduced volume music.

I know the channel is showcasing vehicles and paths, but don't be afraid to contain dialogue of you and your friends' conversations while riding (like I see how
"2016 RZR XP Turbo vs 2016 Maverick 1000R" has dialogue); Don't fake enthusiasm, but put some personality into it.
lol yeah, that was actually just shot, for some friends. I never had any intention of uploading it to Youtube, but my buddy wanted to show off his win over the maverick

I think a mix would be nice, and since the drone doesn't record any audio I was thinking of either A) voicing over with Dialogue or B) like you suggested keep music there.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I had music on my videos but then I got a few comments saying it was distracting because I cover technical subject matter. I see other successful technical channels with music so maybe the question is

- Is it the right choice of music?
- Is the music maybe too loud?

All things to test. I am going to reintroduce music to my videos and see if I change the style/genre or volume and see what response I get. Maybe you could try doing the same and see what results we get :)

Thanks,
Darren

SoFloSXS

Reaction score
I had music on my videos but then I got a few comments saying it was distracting because I cover technical subject matter. I see other successful technical channels with music so maybe the question is

- Is it the right choice of music?
- Is the music maybe too loud?

All things to test. I am going to reintroduce music to my videos and see if I change the style/genre or volume and see what response I get. Maybe you could try doing the same and see what results we get :)

Thanks,
Darren
That makes sense, I have such a hard time finding copyright-free .music..

I'll have to try and figure out if maybe playing with volume would have some effect also. I'll try a few different things and see if I can notice any change with that.

Thanks!

Reactions: Darren Taylor

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The majority of our videos have music - some, are virtually “music videos” - BUT, i always also have the audio of the trail playing at a lower level - so we do “both” on most/many videos.
Most of our subscribers LOVE this type of video.. However, for a while we were being paid to create videos for the largest Jeeping/offroad channel on Youtube which has a totally different subscriber base (younger and much dumber) - and they LOST THEIR MINDS over having music in the videos.. all they could handle was trail/Jeep sounds or they whined like a bunch of 12 year old bit%e$ ...
So i would say it depends on your subscriber base or what YOU prefer to do..

SoFloSXS

Reaction score
The majority of our videos have music - some, are virtually “music videos” - BUT, i always also have the audio of the trail playing at a lower level - so we do “both” on most/many videos.
Most of our subscribers LOVE this type of video.. However, for a while we were being paid to create videos for the largest Jeeping/offroad channel on Youtube which has a totally different subscriber base (younger and much dumber) - and they LOST THEIR MINDS over having music in the videos.. all they could handle was trail/Jeep sounds or they whined like a bunch of 12 year old bit%e$ ...
So i would say it depends on your subscriber base or what YOU prefer to do..
How did you find your copyright free music? That seems to be my biggest struggle. If it's a secrete nevermind was just curious if I was missing something simple.

Video's look awesome.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
On some videos (a few) i just use copyrighted music knowing I wont be able to monetize them.
For a while i had a deal with a BIG cover artist that did awesome covers of songs.. But he signed with a big label last year so I cant use his music anymore.
Now i use Audioblocks ($99/yr unlimited songs/downloads) and AudioJungle ($10 - $20/per song) ...

SoFloSXS

Reaction score
On some videos (a few) i just use copyrighted music knowing I wont be able to monetize them.
For a while i had a deal with a BIG cover artist that did awesome covers of songs.. But he signed with a big label last year so I cant use his music anymore.
Now i use Audioblocks ($99/yr unlimited songs/downloads) and AudioJungle ($10 - $20/per song) ...
So with Audio blocks, they are blocks of none copyright stuff? same with audio jungle? I'd love to find a good cover artist that might be worth looking in too.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
A cover artist still is technically not legal, but youtube’s Content ID wont pick up on them.
Audioblocks has full songs, sound effects, loops, all kinds of stuff. You can download as many as you want and use them as long as you want, even if you end your subscription.. It’s all good music, not a lot of ‘great’ stuff.
Audio Jungle is only songs/music pieces.. Better quality - a LOT of great stuff, but you pay for every song you download.

You can check them both out for free and see everything they have.