Should I fork out for a new Video Editing laptop

Scott Bowes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys I've recently been looking into getting a new laptop solely for editing videos, im currently using a HP with intel i3 and its a bit slow when running programmes like Adobe Premiere, I've thought about getting a macbook pro because i like to looks of Final Cut Pro X and it would most likely run Adobe Premiere better too, I'm currently using Wondershare Filmora to edit videos but its a bit basic for what i want and feel i could benefit from Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro X, can you guys give me some advice or let me know what you think would be a good alternative?

xxheathermarie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm using FCPX. I love it. Theres so much opportunity for it. A lot of people have difference opinions on Macs... So do your research. See if it benefits you in any other way besides YouTube. I wouldn't fork out the money JUST for YT.

Spook

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you are dead set on a laptop, a macbook pro would be good! Just keep in mind you would need 8gigs of ram MINIMUM (I recommend 16gigs but run 32gigs on my desktop). You will also need a fast processor, like an I7 (I run a 6800k i7 overclocked 20% with a liquid cooler). Post the specs you were thinking on here so I can offer more insight.

If you are not dead set on a laptop build your own pc, for $1500 you can get an i7 12-16gigs of GDDR4 ram, a very solid gpu and a solid cpu!

Scott Bowes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
These are the specs of the one i was looking at

Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.6GHz Processor
256 GB Storage

• 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
I think I would prefer to go down the laptop route as I move between mine and my girlfriends house.

Spook

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
These are the specs of the one i was looking at

Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.6GHz Processor
256 GB Storage

• 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
I think I would prefer to go down the laptop route as I move between mine and my girlfriends house.
Those specs should work well with video editing, although you would need a large external HDD or SDD, I don't know much about radeon graphics cards so you will have to look a review for that but if it matches up well with the rest of the build you would have nothing to worry about!

If you don't mind me asking how did set those goals in your signature for views and subs, thanks!

- Good Luck! :)

Scott Bowes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for your advice

If you don't mind me asking how did set those goals in your signature for views and subs, thanks!
If you goto the personal settings under your profile you should find it in there just below the bit where you enter channel username.

Reactions: Spook