Should I do the optimal video length of under 5 minutes?

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I heard that doing videos of 5 minutes or less is an important method no matter the genre before you build a substantial following. (unless of course you're posting lectures or something...) But I think my content works best in 7 - 10 minute range. It's often said that algorithms favour videos of longer watch time. So for my videos I was wondering if I play it safe at the start and do the first few videos in the range below 5 minutes - is it possible the viewers and potential subs I get in that initial promotion time actually wouldn't appreciate longer videos coming later? Longer meaning 7 - 10 minutes. In all honesty I'm leaning towards just doing my thing form the start and do videos of 7 - 10 minutes long and hope for the best. But what do you think? Which of the following options do you think would be less risky?

A) Break the supposed unwritten rule that you should do 5 min or less and start with 7 - 10 min length which would also be the length of most of my videos coming in the future?

B) Start with 5 min or less for the first few videos before the channel picks up and risk that my viewers won't appreciate 8m:30s videos once they get used to the 4m:30s in the beggining?

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Strategy / Technique advice discussion forum. ^_^

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Well do you have a channel? Because I don’t see a link. I’d really like to know what kind of content you plan on putting up!

Reactions: Broccoli Shmoccoli

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
So so far I did some test screenings (if I can call it that) in which I posted a few videos to gain feedback for 3 different channel concepts. These were purely test videos as best encapsulating the main shtick of the individual concept as possible and to see which concept should be prioritized. The one I decided to go with is fully animated and it doesn't exactly fit in to a mold of any one specific genre I could single out but I guess it's a mix of science pop, fantasy and a touch of social commentary if that makes sense. I can't give away to much at this point but science pop I personally like best is in that 7 - 10 min range and perhaps more importantly I find that range extremely satisfying to write for.[DOUBLEPOST=1510641652,1510639348][/DOUBLEPOST]F
The core rule is go as long as you can make it interesting.
Wow that is so logical and so right! Thank you! I didn't know that or think of it! Oh man... I agree completely with this rule. If they like it in the first place they will keep watching... But what about the appeal or the lack thereof actually clicking on a video to long or to short for them in a given time? You know - the newcomers or in the case of the wrong length - the "nocomers"? :)[DOUBLEPOST=1510642184][/DOUBLEPOST](I don't know what is the purpose of that letter "F" above the quote of zhkopec. I don't know how to delete it. It sayes "error" when I try... I don't think I put it there or at least not on purpose.)

HC.SameerPatil

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I heard that doing videos of 5 minutes or less is an important method no matter the genre before you build a substantial following. (unless of course you're posting lectures or something...) But I think my content works best in 7 - 10 minute range. It's often said that algorithms favour videos of longer watch time. So for my videos I was wondering if I play it safe at the start and do the first few videos in the range below 5 minutes - is it possible the viewers and potential subs I get in that initial promotion time actually wouldn't appreciate longer videos coming later? Longer meaning 7 - 10 minutes. In all honesty I'm leaning towards just doing my thing form the start and do videos of 7 - 10 minutes long and hope for the best. But what do you think? Which of the following options do you think would be less risky?

A) Break the supposed unwritten rule that you should do 5 min or less and start with 7 - 10 min length which would also be the length of most of my videos coming in the future?

B) Start with 5 min or less for the first few videos before the channel picks up and risk that my viewers won't appreciate 8m:30s videos once they get used to the 4m:30s in the beggining?

Heres the thing, regardless of how long your video is you are only going to have longer video retention time if your video is engaging enough for the viewer. If the video is 1 hour long and its super entertaining, you're going to get people watching the whole thing. I recommend you just do you and don't worry about the timing of your video. Put out the best content you possibly can, make it engaging and at the end of the provide value. Hope this helped! Good Luck! :)

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Heres the thing, regardless of how long your video is you are only going to have longer video retention time if your video is engaging enough for the viewer. If the video is 1 hour long and its super entertaining, you're going to get people watching the whole thing. I recommend you just do you and don't worry about the timing of your video. Put out the best content you possibly can, make it engaging and at the end of the provide value. Hope this helped! Good Luck! :)

Thank you HC! It helps for sure! Now it makes much more sense hearing both of your perspectives. I'm sure it's a fact. Also if people like it the algorithm figures it out as they sub and stuff - and it recommends you... Makes sense... Thank you guys!

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber

You can have as long as you want or as short as you like, as long as you can hold the audiences' attention span for that long.

It also depends on your content. e.g. if you are a gaming channel, then playthroughs can be long, like 10-20 mins. That is perfectly fine, because the audience wants to see a full playthrough, not highlights.

If you are vlogger, its quite hard to keep the attention span of the viewers, usually 3-5 mins is it.

Have a look at your analytics and see what your average view time is for each video

Broccoli Shmoccoli

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Yup you also make good points. You guys all make good points. To be honest I actually think It was a stupid question to begin with. I mean of course you do your thing as you think it will work best... Silly question...

Thank you Ocean!

edit - (Ocean with a big O not a small O. Forgive me Ocean! Oh man... Not one of my best days...)

OMG - I just saw it... What a cringefest....

Last edited:

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Yup you also make good points. You guys all make good points. To be honest I actually think It was a stupid question to begin with. I mean of course you do your thing as you think it will work best... Silly question...

Thank you ocean!
Well it IS YOUR channel after all. :p