GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Coucou!

I got a copyright claim like 2 months ago and there wasn't a dispute button and now that I came back to see the claim, the dispute button appears...

Long story short:
Old video (August 2018) when I was new to YouTube... I used a NCS remix of Mission Impossible song for less than 1 minute as an intro. Little I knew that according to YouTube:

So I didn't know that NCS or even a remix is at stake and Sony will not stop or think twice if they see the video has 100K+ Views
Video is dead, will not get that many views at this point so they will get less than $1USD per month

BUUUUT Since I used the song in the intro I was able to remove it completely from the video thanks to creator studio beta (trim feature). I removed that intro and you can't hear their song anymore because I pretty much trimmed my footage so the question is....
Should I dispute the claim and will it be removed? or am I risking a strike for nothing?

What would you do?
Thanks for your help!

PS: If the claim is removed, I will keep a perfect record of 0 claims and 0 copyright issues

Last edited:

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
That's an odd situation - I would be inclined to dispute it because you've removed it - but there is a chance the systems/bots/AI overlords wont be smart enough to realize you've removed it, then, BAM, STRIKE!
So if you're concerned and if the video is dead, either leave the claim stand (it wont count against you) or just delete the video.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have one video that has a copyright claim for music composition with revenue sharing. it contains a original recording of a copywrited song. although the song is not covered in a way to try to exactly duplicate the song the claim for music composition I would deem legitimate. it was never a popular video its more of a personal video that is not made to be searchable never has had many views. so I can't comment as to if YouTube will still promote the video due to the claim but I don't see why they wouldn't all it means is the copywrite holder is laying claim to some of the revenue generated by the video.

I will also mention that they did not give me a copywrite strike for that they just basicly claimed some of the revenue from that video.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I have one video that has a copyright claim for music composition with revenue sharing. it contains a original recording of a copywrited song. although the song is not covered in a way to try to exactly duplicate the song the claim for music composition I would deem legitimate. it was never a popular video its more of a personal video that is not made to be searchable never has had many views. so I can't comment as to if YouTube will still promote the video due to the claim but I don't see why they wouldn't all it means is the copywrite holder is laying claim to some of the revenue generated by the video.

I will also mention that they did not give me a copywrite strike for that they just basicly claimed some of the revenue from that video.
You can leave the claim there all you want since you are sharing revenue with them. I believe that when you dispute is when you are taking risks since if you don't own the song well you can get in trouble. In my case, the song isn't in the video anymore cause I clipped but I don't know if the system will still detect the song that's why I don't know if I should claim or not

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I guess if it was me if it's a video that's not actively getting a lot of views I would just leave well enough alone. But if it is I would probably file a dispute if I could add a statement to the dispute saying that the offending portion of the video has been removed. So that it's obvious that your not trying to claim it never existed.

Reactions: GameVestment

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think these so called 'no copyright sounds' and similar have their own imagined interpretation of copyright and can easily get you into trouble. I stick with the Youtube library for no hassle.

It's disappointing to learn you trimmed the music out and are still in no better position. Hope you get it resolved

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I think these so called 'no copyright sounds' and similar have their own imagined interpretation of copyright and can easily get you into trouble. I stick with the Youtube library for no hassle.

It's disappointing to learn you trimmed the music out and are still in no better position. Hope you get it resolved
I agree, I don't really trust those No Copyright Sounds to be fair. It's totally fine I trimmed the video cause the song was used as an intro (beginning of the video) so removing the first 10 seconds of the video doesn't really change anything. If it was in the middle... well, I would be screwed XD

Reactions: UhoohExtra

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
separately - trimming intros from videos has always pushed watch time percentage up massively for me. Just an extra 1% could tip the balance and mean Youtube algorithm favouring your content and showing it more. Intros can be viewer repellants.. I always aim for the 'x' top right after 1 second of people's intro as you don't know how long that bs is gonna last.