Should I dispute? Or is it risky?

AwesomeX

Reaction score
Hey guys I need advice for Youtube. So I made a video that has Squidward in Smash Bros which has been claimed by Viacom, I do wanna montieze but im scared Viacom might end up taking down my video or worse, takinh down my channel. What should I do? i added one spongebob clip in video so I can see why but other than that its mostly smash bros and other places.

Here is the link to the video if you want to see for yourself:

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Don't dispute....unless you happen to own the rights to the character of Squidward. Squidward is a big focus of your video and what you've created looks cool but ultimately you do not have permission to distribute those clips or earn money from them.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah don't dispute, sadly the system is so broken that disputing is waaaay too risky and is not worth it, specially since you don't own the rights.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Yeah don't dispute, sadly the system is so broken that disputing is waaaay too risky and is not worth it, specially since you don't own the rights.
He doesn't own the rights. Seems to me that the system is working perfectly in this case.

Reactions: Crown

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
That's why I wrote: "Yeah don't dispute...specially since you don't own the rights" :)
You also stated that the system is broken, it's too risky and that it's not worth it.

In this case, the system is working perfectly as intended, and it's not a matter of being too risky or not worth it- they shouldn't be using footage that they don't have the rights to.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
You also stated that the system is broken, it's too risky and that it's not worth it.

In this case, the system is working perfectly as intended, and it's not a matter of being too risky or not worth it- they shouldn't be using footage that they don't have the rights to.
Not really since it was added as extra advice and might be helpful to someone else. Allow me to explain, YouTube knows the copyright system is broken (that's not a secret) specially with all the feedback they receive from the Creator Insider channel and the video they made a while ago acknowledging this problem.

The reason why I stated this to a public forum is really simple... there's a broken system while talking about copyright claims and even thou the OP doesn't have the rights to the content in this case (which I clearly wrote) it doesn't mean he/she should not know that the system isn't perfect and is better to play safe most of the time. Even if you have the rights, it's better to play safe because of what I already mentioned: the system is broken and there's copyright abuse <-- and that's a fact!

It doesn't matter if that's not the case in this situation because it was written as added information and might be helpful to someone else or the OP in the future.

[The reason why I just mentioned it briefly is because it's not part of the conversation and I didn't feel the need to explain all of this since it was only extra information/advise and something to take into account if you have a YouTube channel, but if you want a better explanation... sure, why not]

A forum like this is valuable because of the information and experience creators share which I really hope you aren't against people sharing their advices, experience and opinions. Even thou it wasn't part of the conversation, it's still important information and something I believe every channel should know. DON'T dispute if you don't have the rights and remember the system is broken so even if you have the rights be very careful and if it's not worth it's better to play safe!
Broken system means that even if you have the rights there are cases where channels had the rights, they disputed and they got a strike. This is because YouTube favours the claimant and not the creator and this is nothing new... creators had complained about this during many years.

Therefore and I'll explain this one last time:
"Yeah don't dispute...specially since you don't own the rights" <-- to answer the question and give short advice
"sadly the system is so broken that disputing is waaaay too risky and is not worth it" <--- to give extra advice, in other words extra information about the copyright system which is extremely important if you have a YouTube channel. For this statement, it doesn't matter if the creator has or not the rights of the content since this is EXTRA information and does not contradict my original advice: "Yeah don't dispute...specially since you don't own the rights"

As a user of this forum, I'm just here to share the information and my experience. If the OP wants to know more or have any questions, he/she will ask, open a new thread or research as much he/she can about this topic. If not, it makes no difference... take whatever advice you want and ignore whatever you want, it's your choice. Therefore, there's nothing wrong about me writing: "sadly the system is so broken that disputing is waaaay too risky and is not worth it" since this can be helpful to the OP or any other person reading this thread... in other words, It doesn't harm at all. The more information and opinions we have, the better!

YouTube isn't 100% accurate even with their own policies and in some cases the answer isn't really black or white and some people usually share false or misleading information, so this EXTRA information is always valuable to learn specially if you are starting a channel. As a matter of fact, I can assure you that the most important things I learned about YouTube weren't from a forum or from YouTube community guidelines... but from my own and other channel's experience. I can assure you that the more people that knows the system is broken and learn better when to dispute and not to dispute is extremely useful, but since this is a complex long topic is better just to mention it and let people research if or ask if they want to know more.

Hope it is clear now and if it isn't then I give up cause I don't want to change the topic of this thread and I believe OP already got his/her answer :)