Should I delete videos that made my channel popular?

YAOG

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello guys.

I uploaded a video this past November that showed me using a drone to catch my wife meeting another man. The video blew up, got 1 million views overnight and ended up with 12 million and counting. I had 20k subs before the video and have over 50k now. I still get a decent amount of subs from this video and make one or two hundred dollars a month from it, but it doesn't fit with the direction I've gone in with regard to the channel's content. I've turned the channel's content toward music, uploading various covers with a twist, and those cheating videos no longer seem to fit.

My question is, should I consider placing those videos on private so that the channel has a completely musical theme to it? I feel that, although I'd lose money, this might be the way to go. It's a tough decision because I do get subs from the drone videos, and I've been able to convert many of those subs to stay for the new content.

What would you do?

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That's just crazy to give up income like that, unless money really is not a big deal for you. I would just update it by adding a card that pops up on the top right either in the beginning or end of your video indicating that your channel is not about that. This way you still get the views but not the unwanted and mislead subscribers.

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well if you're not affected by it in terms of subs complaining to you about where that type of content is, then i wouldn't be affected by it, its when the subscribers feel betrayed by the fact that youre not posting that type of content anymore, besides, im sure they would of checked out your other content prior to subscribing. i know that before i subscribe after watching one video, i'd check another couple to know i actually like the content or if its just that one video which would lead me to not be a subby :3

YAOG

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That's just crazy to give up income like that
The main video that makes the most money is licensed to Jukin, so I split it with them 70/30 (70 for me). I wonder if I talked to them about it, if we could work something out where I put the video on private on my channel and have them upload it to their channel and split the money with me. Something to consider, although I think it might not be possible.

For now I'm going to dig into the analytics and see if I can at least delete my other videos related to that and not hurt myself too much. The follow up (update) videos have a lot of views too. It's a tough decision. Thanks for your input.[DOUBLEPOST=1491186318,1491186131][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well if you're not affected by it in terms of subs complaining to you
I'm not, but I have been losing a couple hundred subs for every new video I upload. I also gain a couple hundred subs. It's really strange, although I attribute a lot of it to the fact that the 20k subs I had prior to this video were from completely different content from years ago. I've been at around 52k subs for months now, even though I've gained a few thousand subs. I also lost a few thousand. I do get a lot of comments that go like this "I originally subbed for the drone video, but I'm glad I did because I love this new content", which leads me to believe that it isn't hurting me much. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: CountingStars

MrDooney

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm sorry to hear about your wife, I just saw the video. I would find what path you would want to go down to youtube, and put any non- relating video on unlisted

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Leave it. My biggest video doesn't suit the majority of mine and it doesn't seem to be damaging.
See it as free money free subs free views and work on what you love along side it.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It's completely up to you. I have some of my old videos that got me lots of views still up, even if I don't like them and/or they don't fit with what I'm currently doing.

OburnE

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It is your channel. I think you can mix and continue with your content. You know you wouldn't cut the goose that gives you golden egg

Noobzilla

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't even think about deleting it, making it private or making it unlisted. Not only does it bring in new subs/viewers and channel watch time, the money isn't bad at all either. Your channel, your rules but I know I would keep it

Edit - I just watched your video, sorry man.

Last edited:

mattv2099

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
don't delete it. if you delete and re-upload there's no guarantee that it will get significant views anymore.