Should I create a YouTube channel?

Reaction score
For a long time I’ve been thinking about creating a YouTube channel. I have a theme/subject area, brand name and loads of ideas. A few days ago I began to set everything up and made my first attempt at recording. Apart from the stupidly awkward newbie on camera behaviour (I’m sure I’m not the only one), everything went well.

But I have a problem, I don’t want anyone I know finding out I am youtube. Especially don’t want someone I know stumbling across one of my videos by accident. Now in theory, the chance is small but not impossible.

So how do I get round this? I’d do it without showing my face but watching others who partly overlap with my theme all show their face. And I kind of feel that is essential.

Any advice? I still want to start a channel but I would prefer to remain anonymous.

Reactions: evnanonymous

Stephanharz

Reaction score
Honestly...I feel if you start YouTube to follow others "recipe" you will just blend in the background one...and two if you start YouTube to make money or anything other than just having fun and DOING it...then it may not be for you. Soo my advice...forget what anyone else is doing it...do it your own way..have fun and if you get views.....great! if not..ehh you had fun doing it and keep doing it..my channel is OLD like past 10 years old and its only in the last few months that I have gained any real subs an...now a fan base lol

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for your reply. That’s good advice about doing it my own way. Basically I want to create the videos that I would have found helpful over the last two years. I looked over and over but never found any that were exactly what I was looking for. So I’m doing it for fun (at least I hope it will be fun) but also to show others that certain things can be done.
As for making money, this might sound weird but I actually don’t want adds on my channel. They annoy me so much when I watch other people’s videos, I’d rather spare others that same feeling.[DOUBLEPOST=1536920379,1536920216][/DOUBLEPOST]Also when I think about the sort of videos I would do, quite a lot of them I could get away with just my hands in the shot. Maybe find some video editing software that allows me to blur my face for the others.

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
Why are you trying to not be recognized? The chances are really slim, I have 32K subs and I've only been recognized once last week out in public.
Just do it, but for the right reasons!
Cheers,
ET

Reaction score
Ooh just found a super useful video that told me where the blur feature is on YouTube. That might just solve the problem. As there are definitly some videos I can’t use camera angle to hide my face.

Reaction score
Why are you trying to not be recognized? The chances are really slim, I have 32K subs and I've only been recognized once last week out in public.
Just do it, but for the right reasons!
Cheers,
ET
I honestly don’t know if I’m panicking over nothing and it’s just because I’m new to this.

I don’t think my parents would approve, but they generally don’t approve of me so that’s not new. I am worried I’ll get teased or bullied. But I know I have a problem with anxiety so this is probably just that talking. I’m worried that it will be seen by my sport coaches or my boss but again it’s probably just my anxiety.

And the planned content isn’t even that bad. Nothing would be X rated, not even close.

And when I think about it I never seen come across a video on YouTube by someone I know in real life. And the people in real life are unlikely to looking up this subject area. Or if they do, it’s because of their own circumstances.

Like I said, anxiety and probably panicking over nothing. Perhaps if I have a few days to think about whether I want to hide my face or not.

Reactions: ByeByeCubicle

ByeByeCubicle

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know if I’m panicking over nothing and it’s just because I’m new to this.

I don’t think my parents would approve, but they generally don’t approve of me so that’s not new. I am worried I’ll get teased or bullied. But I know I have a problem with anxiety so this is probably just that talking. I’m worried that it will be seen by my sport coaches or my boss but again it’s probably just my anxiety.

And the planned content isn’t even that bad. Nothing would be X rated, not even close.

And when I think about it I never seen come across a video on YouTube by someone I know in real life. And the people in real life are unlikely to looking up this subject area. Or if they do, it’s because of their own circumstances.

Like I said, anxiety and probably panicking over nothing. Perhaps if I have a few days to think about whether I want to hide my face or not.
That's totally understandable, I was just curious. Hope you're able to produce the content you want and feel confident about it!
Cheers,
ET

Reaction score
I think the other part of the anxiety is knowing that I’m planning content that is frequently targeted by certain groups.