Should I create a YouTube channel?

Divine Authority

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Since you doing it as part of your hobby, I say go for it. Create a big fanbase through your videos and who knows you can make money out of it someday. You can use Patreon as a alternative if you don't want to put ads in your video. Good luck and wish you can succeed :)

The Matt Diaries

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was the same at the start, really nervous someone would recognise me, but when some friends I'd eventually find out they were supportive. But it's gotten to the stage now that even if they weren't supportive I would still make videos because I love it.

If you are passionate about something then just go for it. That worry about being discovered will subside after a while

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SomewhereInWisconsin

Reaction score
Interesting. I started my channel and and didn't share it with friends or family for like a year. After awhile it just seemed like a good time to share it and I did then. Make the videos, post them up, and let it roll. Eventually you will be okay with sharing them with friends and family.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

evnanonymous

Reaction score
the first thing that comes to mind with a post like yours is: you need to make up your mind

either commit to showing your face and accepting the possibility that someone you know might see you, or commit to a different way of approaching the problem

there are only 2 straightforward solutions:

1. have someone else be the "face of the channel", while you write the script and deal with all the other channel-related stuff. (could be a friend doing it, finding someone here on yttalk, reddit, doing a collab or hiring someone through fiverr, etc.)

2. trying to make it work while not showing your face (provided youre comfortable with doing voiceovers instead) - you cant know unless you try, right?

logically, because you prefer to remain anonymous, i guess the best course of action would be to do the 2 option first, see what happens, and if you find little success, try the 1 option

just my 2 cents

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If you really don't want to show your face, then choose a type of video where it's not always necessary - Some gamers only ever show gameplay with no facecam, for example. Likewise for videos like animation, how-to channels who only record their screen.

Or maybe YouTube is not for you. :) Maybe you'd be more suited to starting a website and blogging and/or starting a podcast and distribute it on itunes and/or your website. :)

Reactions: evnanonymous
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. All those possible ways of doing it are all valid alternatives that might be the solution that works for me. I’ve begun experimenting with a few different versions of the same video, not to put online but to see how I feel about each method.

Reactions: evnanonymous

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For a long time I’ve been thinking about creating a YouTube channel. I have a theme/subject area, brand name and loads of ideas. A few days ago I began to set everything up and made my first attempt at recording. Apart from the stupidly awkward newbie on camera behaviour (I’m sure I’m not the only one), everything went well.

But I have a problem, I don’t want anyone I know finding out I am youtube. Especially don’t want someone I know stumbling across one of my videos by accident. Now in theory, the chance is small but not impossible.

So how do I get round this? I’d do it without showing my face but watching others who partly overlap with my theme all show their face. And I kind of feel that is essential.

Any advice? I still want to start a channel but I would prefer to remain anonymous.
Don't start a YouTube channel. A face is part of the persona. Now, with MotoVloggers faces are not needed, plenty of vloggers that keep their likeness out. I used to be one of them back in the day. But once I showed my face it helped grow my channel a bit better. I did have to weather the occasional "unibrow" comment but it is what it is. (It'll come off if I hit 100K subscribers, which I won't hit in my lifetime, so I am pretty safe... LOL).