Should I be Offended or Flattered that other channels are stealing my videos?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So, this is kind of a funny question. On one hand, I work really hard to produce quality content and deserve the credit for all my hard work. So, when people copy my video and post it on their own channel, they are stealing my work and that should be and is upsetting. On the other hand, the fact that other people think my content is worth their time to steal it, is kind of flattering too. I mean, if a burglar breaks into your home to steal a famous piece of art, it means they know it is of great value, right?

For the first couple of years of my channel, no one ever copied my content. Now it is happening pretty routinely. So while I find it upsetting that people are trying to steal my content to build their own channel, it also seems to indicate that my content is now viewed as being valuable enough to steal. That kind of gives me a good feeling about my channel's direction. Is it weird to feel offended and flattered about the same thing?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It also means that you are pretty good at SEO because they are able to quickly find your content via search.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

Ian Smith

Reaction score
Website
stemgoals.co.uk
Channel Type
Other
I can see your argument as to why you might take this as a compliment but I'd still report every instance of video theft you find - why should they profit from your hard work?

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you list your vid as 'creative commons' they are finding it simply through the search feature. I had too many get taken (whole vid, intro, outro, everything) that I had to change all my vids to standard license. People are trying to make a career of just using other people's creative commons work. It was meant as a way to share content, not steal whole vids.

If your work is not creative commons - they are simply stealing - and the intent does not matter. Report them all with a take down notice.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I do report every one that youtube finds and tells me about. All my video have a Standard License.

Reactions: markkaz

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
If you list your vid as 'creative commons' they are finding it simply through the search feature. I had too many get taken (whole vid, intro, outro, everything) that I had to change all my vids to standard license. People are trying to make a career of just using other people's creative commons work. It was meant as a way to share content, not steal whole vids.

If your work is not creative commons - they are simply stealing - and the intent does not matter. Report them all with a take down notice.
So if someone does a review of your channel or vid, gives you free and positive promotion, you'll still report them?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
So if someone does a review of your channel or vid, gives you free and positive promotion, you'll still report them?
Of course not. I am talking about people who copy my product reviews and put them on their channel so they can make money off of my work. If someone promotes my video or channel, I have no problem with that, but I always ask the creator first whenever I do that kind of thing and give them credit in my video and put a card to their channel during the part that their content is shown.

Reactions: Fost

Fost

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Other
Of course not. I am talking about people who copy my product reviews and put them on their channel so they can make money off of my work. If someone promotes my video or channel, I have no problem with that, but I always ask the creator first whenever I do that kind of thing and give them credit in my video and put a card to their channel during the part that their content is shown.
I agree to if not more to an extent of course bro but at the same time I understand that this is Youtube. Someone is always gonna use my stuff to make money but if I keep blocking them eventually it scares other people who have good intentions because that fake guy is mudslinging your name through forums and other platforms. All I'm saying is, see every angle prepare for ever angle.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I agree to if not more to an extent of course bro but at the same time I understand that this is Youtube. Someone is always gonna use my stuff to make money but if I keep blocking them eventually it scares other people who have good intentions because that fake guy is mudslinging your name through forums and other platforms. All I'm saying is, see every angle prepare for ever angle.
I understand what you are saying. My case is that I know who is stealing my videos. It is the Chinese. They hire people to promote their products at all cost. They steal my videos, put them on temp accounts and put links to their products in the description. In some cases, they even ask me for my original video files. When I tell them my work is copyrighted and offer to make them a promotional video for a standard price, they just steal my videos off of my channel. They are super cheap. They want a $1000 video in exchange for a $20 product. Product review videos are actually a losing proposition unless it is a high dollar item. The time and effort to making them is of way more value than the normal value of the items they offer me. I only make them because they are good to keep my channel active, and I earn a little off of commission if they buy through my affiliate links.

I am starting to get few offers for paid promotional videos though. These are not for youtube. I make the video for the company to use however they want. It is not a review, it is a promotional video (think, Flex Tape). My standard few for a promotional video is $75 an hour plus expenses, with a minimum of $1000 up front to start shooting. The Chinese will not pay this, so they steal my videos.