Should I be ashamed?

RainbowRaptorPie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm a Youtuber like you guys and I try to do a good job at uploading good content. However, I am extremely secretive about my channel. I haven't told anyone about it, the only people who know about it are my best friends because they had a round of the good old 'google your friends'. No one in my family even knows about it.

I once had a conversation with my brother where he said a friend of his was doing youtube and he started laughing about it, saying it's stupid and a waste of time. It destroyed my self confidence, I mean, how can I be proud of what I do when my own brother says it's ridiculous. One of my sisters said it as well, no one supports the idea. I once mockingly asked my mother what she would say if I ever did Youtube and she plainly said I should do something else as it's "a waste of potential".

I'm kind of lost, I try to erase every trace of my channel whenever someone is in the room. When I'm uploading or editing a video, I quickly click everything away because I don't want it to be discovered out of fear that everyone will laugh at me.

I've kind of had this problem with everything, being belittled and laughed at by everyone up to a point where I get suspicious or paranoid when someone actually gives me a compliment or starts talking to me.

I digress though ahaha, I just wanted a place to drop some emotions as it doesn't work in real life for me. Thank you for reading, reader :)

Reactions: Kyrostorm

CMTXRATED

I Is Batman
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
you shouldnt be ashamed of youtube! youtube is a very good productive hobby! and it can lead to many things so keep doing it

RainbowRaptorPie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
dont worry about it bro! you should never give up what you love doing because of some else's opinions!
I will not, don't worry! I just have to find a way to break the news to them in a way that's best for me.
It kind of sounds like I'm going to burden them with heartbreaking news now lol

Reaction score
doesn't matter if anyone else laughs or whatever, if it makes you happy rhen keep doing it. Your happiness is more important than what someone else thinks in this situation.

Envision Adventure

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Don't worry about it! If you like creating videos on YouTube, than keep doing it. There's a whole community of people here that really enjoy YouTube. That is why we're all here.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey I was the same way, pretty much. Back in high school (5/6 years ago) I was on YouTube as well, and I didn't tell my family about it either. Once they found out, it just became really awkward for me because of my parents. My dad would show everyone he knew, and it made me really uncomfortable considering YouTube is something that I want to appreciate by myself. Like. It's -my- hobby, I didn't want my parents to interfere with it. I ended up quitting. 5 years later, I am moved out, live on my own 6 hours away, have a new channel and thanks to Facebook's new privacy settings... they will never see a video ;).

My brother was the exact same way. Him and I are 4 years apart and when he found out that I did it, he mentioned how I never would get a job or into a university because of my content (all I did was curse a lot in my videos.) And here I am a degree, making over triple minimum wage and more than him a year and back to making YouTube videos... so.. z( -.-)

Reactions: Kyrostorm

Aerdian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You should totally not feel ashamed. What everyone else thinks, well, that's their problem. If they don't think YouTube is good, then they aren't your market. Your market is the people who do care, your best friends, and the people who watch your videos.

Electricbrae

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You 100% should not be ashamed of doing Youtube. It's something not a lot of people understand as is anything in the creative sector (How many people understand what a graphic designer, 3D animator or such do? They think the computer does it all or maaaagic~) so don't be disheartened by the comments others make, instead use it to motivate yourself to work harder. They don't get it? Show them. Show them what you can do and I bet the more proud of yourself and dedicated you are to your craft, the easier it will be for them to understand.

Anything you love is worth doing :)

(I can totally understand the struggle, My family didn't put a lot of stock in my pursuing art as a career for years until I had practised enough and gained their support through my dedication and ambition to do better, It's not a waste of potential if you have the potential to do great work)

I feel like I got a little preachy but I feel strongly about this I'm sorry ;___; Keep making videos dude!

Reactions: Cherry Tung