Should I be an Overwatch YouTuber, or YouTube Gamer?

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I really enjoy Overwatch; and It's a really hot game right now, so having my entire channel revolving around the game seems pretty logical for both myself and the audience.

However, I fear that if I'm having an off day with the game, or get bored of it for a while, my channel will suffer from lack of content or lack of enthusiasm.

I feel like channels that focus on a specific game have a more targeted audience, but also feel just being a general YouTube Gamer will be more beneficial to attract a wider audience.

Should I stick to one game, or expand to multiple others?

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Who knows. If I was doing just one game I'd probably do it via stream and just post highlights on YT to try and double up on audience. Doing one game may very well give you a bigger spike in viewers faster, but it's hard to get as high as playing 999999999999999999999999999999991 games would get you.

G-Legend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you should do Overwatch man. It's a hot game right now and if you create quality content, you'll get views and subs. Don't base your channel around gaming in general. Trying to appeal to everyone will make you appeal to no one. I wanted to do gaming in general too when I started but I slowly realized I'd never get where I want to be if I start off so general. You need to start off EXTREMELY SPECIFIC so you can appeal a lot to a very specific target audience. If you want an example, here's what I did.

I started YouTube wanting to do gaming in general. Problem is that If I try to appeal to everyone, I'll appeal to no one. So I narrowed it down to first person shooter content. That was too general too so I narrowed it further for EA First person shooter titles. Then I realized I needed to narrow down EVEN MORE so I can appeal highly to a certain target audience and I decided to implement that technique into my content. Now I upload Battlefield 1 tips and strategies on the daily so my target audience (Battlefield 1 noobies) will really really like my channel and every video on it. They'll also like the fact that they can learn something new EVERY SINGLE DAY on my channel and subscribe to get the updates. When you grow a little more, YOU NEED TO expand a little bit. Just a little bit. When my channel grows more, I plan to upload Battlefield content in general (not just tips and strategies for noobs). And when I get even bigger than that, I'll add in some other First person shooter titles like Overwatch. I'll never leave the FPS scene though, because then I'll lose subs. You shouldn't either. Never change your content THAT much where you'll loose subs. But this technique is one that I really recommend you try out.

Simple and highly effective.

Also, if you need to know what kind of content you should upload, Find a big YouTuber who makes similar content and click on their videos tab. Then filter their videos (on the top right) to show their most popular uploads. What loads up is what your potential audience wants to see and what you should be making. Good luck.

Business Inquiries -------> glegendbusiness@outlook.com

Reactions: KingRay111

Nanonium

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Stick to one game, Overwatch is a big game, many YouTubers have videos on it, but if you enjoy it and can make quality content that is unique, do it, it would be best to do that than have a broad genre of games

G-Legend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Stick to one game, Overwatch is a big game, many YouTubers have videos on it, but if you enjoy it and can make quality content that is unique, do it, it would be best to do that than have a broad genre of games
Wait what? Lol didn't you just say he should stick to one game? Cause then at the end you said to cover a variety of genres

ggdeeofficial

EZ Game EZ Life
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you are just starting then i would recommend starting with one game. This gets you your initial audience . Then try to branch out to similar games in that genre. Once you get big you can play and provide content about anything you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nanonium

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Wait what? Lol didn't you just say he should stick to one game? Cause then at the end you said to cover a variety of genres
I said it would be better to cover one game rather than a broad genre of games...maybe my wording could have been better lol

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How do you guys feel about covering maybe 3 different games? So, the audience is still specified, but not limited to one game. Would you consider this effective content production??

@Nanonium @ggdeeofficial @G-Legend

Nanonium

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
How do you guys feel about covering maybe 3 different games? So, the audience is still specified, but not limited to one game. Would you consider this effective content production??

Think about it this way, are all 3 games shooter (any specific genre for that matter) If so, it wouldn't be a bad idea, I would try and avoid have 3 different genre's of games and maybe stick to a specific genre

G-Legend

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

Hmm okay. Well I think it's possible to do 3 different games. But if you could, I'd say stick with 2 big franchises as you start and eventually expand to 3. So if you're a FIFA YouTuber, for example, and you want to also play 2k and Madden, you can. But I'd say have FIFA under the main spotlight and do the others on the side.

What I did is I picked the Battlefield franchise under my main spotlight and added in some occasional videos from the Titanfall franchise while still uploading the majority of content relevant to Battlefield fans/players. When I get bigger I'll expand to COD or something, but I'll never ever take the spotlight away from the Battlefield franchise. Why though?

BECAUSE IM A BATTLEFIELD YOUTUBER

I think you should think of yourself and your channel similarly. If you're just starting off then whatever 1 franchise you like best, stick to it and then pick one game (under the same genre) to upload once in a while along with the main franchise. After you grow more and expand your influence, go ahead and add one more game. Never completely change genre though because you'll lose a ton of hard earned subs.