Should I ask for subs in my videos?

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
The last week I've started posting more often and have been encouraged by views likes and comments. But no new subs:( Should I ask in my videos, or just be patient without asking?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yes you need CTA prompts.. ask at near start and end of video - vocally and visually is better. Many new Youtubers including myself think we are so fly people will subscribe anyway.. guess what I wasn't that good. are you? Or peeps feel embarrassed to ask. But you really have to think for the viewer.. They may well want to subscribe but just won't have thought to do so without a call to action prompt. I learnt the hard way. A couple of my old videos get 1000s of views per week but only 1 sub per 2000 views. Compared to my newer vids with CTAs that get ten times better subs per view ratio -but unfortunately don't get the same amount of traffic. If only I had put proper CTAs in my first videos which gain lots of vies I'd easy have a few thousand subs now instead of 400 ish.[DOUBLEPOST=1546774950,1546774797][/DOUBLEPOST]CTAs meaning call to action for engagement not just including Subs, but also for likes, info card presses, comments, shares.
see how many CTAs you can count in my video below:

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do you know if it's possible to upload a short subscribe prompt video to my youtube library and edit my videos and add the prompt video at the end of my other videos?

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No harm in asking people to subscribe IMO. I do it in many of my videos. I try to use a bit of humor when asking sometimes though:) I think it works better that way. In a few of my videos I ask in the beginning but mostly I wait to the end. the problem about that (obviously) is that people might not watch your video till the end but if the actually do I think you have a better chance of getting a new subscriber:)

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I rarely ask people to subscribe in my videos, merely in the description.
I put a phrase like "Subscribe and use the bell feature for getting informed of upcoming similar videos." near the end of the description.

I hate videos where the creator asks me to comment and like their video, subscribe the channel, use the bell feature, visit their fb, hug their cat, do whatever... best thrice in a row. Those regularly get a "thumbs down" and a comment stating the reason for the dislike.

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
tbh i always get scared when people subscribe.....weird I know....im just sacred they will subscribe and not view my content lol. Ive seen a few channels where they got shotouts from huge motovloggers and got a good amount of subs. I then started looking at their video history and see they are getting about 100 views per a video @ 2k - 5k subs which possibly cant be good. Im not a YT expert so I dont know lol. but everytime someone subs, im like shoooot hope they hit the bell button.

I usually tell them if they do subscribe please hit the bell button or you wont see my content lmao

Reaction score
Yes - you should most definitely ask people to subscribe in your videos. You should also use an End Card with a subscribe button, as well as a link to another one of your videos. And also ask for subscribers in the video description text.

Finally, you can use a "Subscribe" button in your video watermark, that way it is displayed throughout your entire video.

You take a lot of time and effort to make your videos (at least I assume you do), don't be afraid to ask for subscribers. For many viewers that is the call to action that will prompt them to hit the subscribe button.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

VloggySam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger
The old saying goes, you don't ask you don't get! I love the way WillNE does it in his videos, he usually does it half way through the video or just after he has started the video so viewers are already engaged and are more likely to comply. If you do it right at the end, some viewers may have already clicked off the video by then and right at the start they usually don't pay attention.

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I rarely ask people to subscribe in my videos, merely in the description.
I put a phrase like "Subscribe and use the bell feature for getting informed of upcoming similar videos." near the end of the description.

I hate videos where the creator asks me to comment and like their video, subscribe the channel, use the bell feature, visit their fb, hug their cat, do whatever... best thrice in a row. Those regularly get a "thumbs down" and a comment stating the reason for the dislike.
Yes HiEnergy, I have mixed feelings. But I do think there are some who ask for subs in a considerate way and are not overly pushy.