Should I abandon my genre on youtube (Gaming)

Soenix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've always wanted to be a gamer on youtube making funny moments and being funny however it seems like its impossible for new gamers to get to the top now a-days on youtube. So i'm thinking about changing my genre to something new and unique. I have an idea of showing gameplay whist talking about something, It's not exactly new to be honest. What are your opinions? Do you think its worth gaming on youtube now or just a waste of time.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video ideas / planning forum. ^^

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
How do you feel about it? Do you want to do it? It´s your opinion that matters the most, and if you feel comfortable about it, it will show in the videos and people might come!

Reactions: Ralph Mickey

Soenix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How do you feel about it? Do you want to do it? It´s your opinion that matters the most, and if you feel comfortable about it, it will show in the videos and people might come!
I just feel like there are so many people making gaming videos and the only way to get noticed now is to do something completely new and unique. I would do gaming videos 100% however it seems near impossible.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me personally it has really paid off to do research before I invest time into videos. It's very easy to do gaming videos and get almost no return for your time, so I usually try to find a situation where I can be sure I will get a least a small amount of attention for my video.

Maybe rather than completely changing your genre, you could instead look at doing different types of videos to help give your other ones some exposure. Guide videos always have a very good chance of getting some views if they are titled and tagged properly. Anything informational that people might search for has usually done well for me. Or if you do something really interesting involving a specific piece of content in the game that would be exciting to watch. Especially compared to lets plays or funny moments I would think, those are like the two most common types of gaming videos.

It could also be the particular games you are playing have too much competition. Finding a game that has demand with low competition is usually a recipe for good things.

Soenix

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me personally it has really paid off to do research before I invest time into videos. It's very easy to do gaming videos and get almost no return for your time, so I usually try to find a situation where I can be sure I will get a least a small amount of attention for my video.

Maybe rather than completely changing your genre, you could instead look at doing different types of videos to help give your other ones some exposure. Guide videos always have a very good chance of getting some views if they are titled and tagged properly. Anything informational that people might search for has usually done well for me. Or if you do something really interesting involving a specific piece of content in the game that would be exciting to watch. Especially compared to lets plays or funny moments I would think, those are like the two most common types of gaming videos.

It could also be the particular games you are playing have too much competition. Finding a game that has demand with low competition is usually a recipe for good things.
i really appreciate the effort you put into your reply, thanks.

ClimaxGaming

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'dd say move on On another genre... I've been working on YouTube gaming for about 5 months now and gained about 100 subscribers - 5,000 views... Not really that much compared to others... Most of the gaming youtubers these days just use subbots... Honestly just do whatever feels better to your heart the thing that you enjoy the most... In my opinion talking over videos isn't new at ALL... It's mostly used by these a day Drama youtubers or top 10 or something like that so probably don't do that it will just be the same as gaming... You can do some vlogs , comedy or whatever you enjoy yourself.... Just do what you want to your likings

Mcrocks9

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I look at it this way. If you love gaming and you do it anyway why not still put it up on youtube? I do gaming on my other channel and love doing it. I don't get the views or subs that I want but i still enjoy it still. I feel if you are passionate about it then why stop doing it. And you could both on your channel. That's just my two cents.

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I agree with some of the advice given above. If you love it, do it. I've been doing daily vlogs for almost year and a half with less then 100 subs just for the love of it.

maarcnig

itsLIT!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Unless the game is really interesting then maybe. Not everyone is into gaming so that's on your part. If you're completely passionate about it go ahead. Don't feel discouraged