Short video monetization?

Demohero101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question. I would like to create a graphics design tutorial channel. I want to create max. 1-3 min. videos. But one of my friends said "You can't get enough money with those tiny videos. If you want to get much more money from your videos, you should create at least 20 min. videos. The longer the better."

What do you think? Is he right? Do short videos affects monetization quality? What should I do? I don't have enough time to create longer videos. I need some suggestion.

Thank you.

Vedstedsen

Globus Travellus
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I want to create max. 1-3 min. videos''
It's very simple. You want to create 1-3 min videos. Then you make 1-3 min video.
Don't buy into monetization and optimization hysteria before even producing one video, you won't enjoy YouTube even short term if you don't make videos on your own terms. And then you will fail.

Demohero101

Reaction score
It's very simple. You want to create 1-3 min videos. Then you make 1-3 min video.
Don't buy into monetization and optimization hysteria before even producing one video, you won't enjoy YouTube even short term if you don't make videos on your own terms. And then you will fail.
Thanks for the answer. I want to create a channel because I like sharing my knowledge. It will be a hobby for me. I don't want to get money from my channel. I also know that it's not as easy to get monetization as before. 1000 subs. and 4000 hours require one and half year for me :)

I just wonder my friend is right or not.

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't think about monetisation right away! Just read YouTube guidelines throughly to know what you can upload if you want to monetise your channel in the future!
It's kind of true that longer videos might make more money since you can include more ads. Videos under 10mins only have one ad in the video but if your video gets 20M views it will make more money than a 100K 20 minutes video!

Either way good luck! and short videos might be the better way to go when you start a channel IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: Demohero101

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well he could be considered correct.
A video with less than 10minutes length gets 1 ad at the start.
A video with over 10minutes can have many ads. More ads = more revenue

Reactions: Demohero101

vitofaber

I've Got It
Reaction score
you can only put 1 ads in videos under 10 minutes. and youtube rarely suggets those videos. so you should make videos 10 minutes longer

Hulio

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I rarely make a video over 3 minutes long. It'll make ad revenue and get suggested - or I should say it has as much chance of getting suggested or coming up in searches as other videos.

Reactions: UhoohExtra