Setting up to launch a adword campaign - and consulting?

Very interesting! I have the Analytics app for my phone. But, how do you know specifically that traffic is coming from a playlist? Do you have a way to know exactly which playlist?

Yes, that is what I use! Go to the Discovery tab, then click on Traffic Source Types, then change it to the Realtime 60 Mins. Ours right now it 40% playlist and 28% suggested. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pinpoint what playlist it is :/ I think just temporary ones that youtube sets up, but I could be wrong.

Yes, that is what I use! Go to the Discovery tab, then click on Traffic Source Types, then change it to the Realtime 60 Mins. Ours right now it 40% playlist and 28% suggested. Unfortunately I haven't been able to pinpoint what playlist it is :/ I think just temporary ones that youtube sets up, but I could be wrong.

Gotcha, I thought somehow you knew a way to figure out which playlist specifically.

In regards to the frequency, last night I was watching some videos in the keyword I want to focus on and it seems that there are channels that create a very short new clip (1 min or so) and then merge it with some old clips and upload it as a new video. The video will be about 10-15 minutes but then the first minute is the only thing that is new. I think this wouldn't work for channels with kids but for anonymous/no human toy channels it may be a strategy to upload more frequently.

The video will be about 10-15 minutes but then the first minute is the only thing that is new.

Yeah, I notice this has been happening with movie trailers for quite some time now. They'll start out with a new clip/trailer and then add on old trailers to make a 10 or so min video. This places nice with the algorithm in terms of upload frequency and longer videos.
Of course movie buffs like myself who keep up with trailers will reduce retention rate on those videos and leave after the new footage is over. So that might negatively affect the channel in the long run.

Of course movie buffs like myself who keep up with trailers will reduce retention rate on those videos and leave after the new footage is over. So that might negatively affect the channel in the long run.

Yes, for adults it would be like - hey that's cheating! (at least I was thinking .. didn't I JUST see this). But I noticed kids (at least my kids) like repetition. So maybe for them it is a positive for a video to cycle into something they have seen before.

But I noticed kids (at least my kids) like repetition.

Same with mine. Repetition instills learning. For all ages. After noticing how often repeat episodes were shown, I read PBS strategically follows this in their scheduling.
My kids would ask "why are they showing this again? We saw this already" and I would respond with "well see if you can learn something different this time"

Thumbnails also play a huge part in what my kids rewatch and dont rewatch. My daughter watches a video where theres rows of playdoh surprise eggs with different characters pics stuck on the outside. Everytime she sees it in right sidebar, she clicks on it. Conversely she avoids thumbnails that have goo tubs in them as she is afraid of the fart sound they make.

Same with mine. Repetition instills learning. For all ages. After noticing how often repeat episodes were shown, I read PBS strategically follows this in their scheduling.
My kids would ask "why are they showing this again? We saw this already" and I would respond with "well see if you can learn something different this time"

Thumbnails also play a huge part in what my kids rewatch and dont rewatch. My daughter watches a video where theres rows of playdoh surprise eggs with different characters pics stuck on the outside. Everytime she sees it in right sidebar, she clicks on it. Conversely she avoids thumbnails that have goo tubs in them as she is afraid of the fart sound they make.

Oh, that is funny about the goo tubs! I was trying to figure out what my boys were picking. One selects character based thumbnails or ones with vehicles in it. My other son likes anything with bright colors. In general it is not so consistent. One thing that is consistent is that they do not pick our channel's video thumbnails so definitely need to improve that!

In regards to Derral Eves, when you create a new playlist, it creates a unique URL. Only other way to create a unique URL is with video publishing. Adding a video to playlists doesn't create unique URL. ;-). He even goes to say who cares what's on the playlist or even if they are related. Lol!

What I haven't heard DE mention is whether those new playlists need to get views. The key to making playlists, in addition to generating a unique id is to get them to rank in search, so viewers can click on them. It's similar to video, there's no point dumping a daily video with zero views. So after you make a playlist every day, you should rotate cards and end screens, and rotate that playlist up the home page, to get some activity on it. Otherwise it's a dead playlist (but with a unique id).

What I haven't heard DE mention is whether those new playlists need to get views. The key to making playlists, in addition to generating a unique id is to get them to rank in search, so viewers can click on them. It's similar to video, there's no point dumping a daily video with zero views. So after you make a playlist every day, you should rotate cards and end screens, and rotate that playlist up the home page, to get some activity on it. Otherwise it's a dead playlist (but with a unique id).

I don't believe the new playlists have to generate traffic at all. Derral and Roberto never mention it, but they both say you can put any video in a playlist. For example: you can create a playlist and not include any of your videos and the Algorithm will just recognize it as a new unique id (upload frequency) for your channel. Derral did say you should never create a new playlist right after you upload a new video and vice versa. It would be like uploading two videos back to back. The latter will devour the former directing all of the view/watch time velocity to it. I publish one video every day between 3-5 pm (usually around 3pm) and if I want to create a new playlist on a particular day I do it between 9-10 hours later (12-1 am). Derral suggest 15 hours apart, but I don't stay up that late most of the time. I think I'll try 15 hours next time.

Back