SEO for your YouTube videos

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator
I am still struggling for views (usually 50 views within first week even with 248 subs :( ) despite I do put a good enough number of keywords related to be video content, as an example can be seen below:

"Ultimate Doom" Doom id software gore blood excessive gratuitous Hell Brutal mod "I'm too young to die" "hey not too rough" "ultra violence" nightmare best game ever BrutalDoom 1993 1994 classic 64 ZDoom Zandronum Final PC SNES first person shooter gameplay fps level map Phobos Deimos gameplay lets let's play LP playthrough walkthrough E#M# Wizardworks map maps "D!Zone 2" "D!Zone Gold" "Demongate" "Shovelware Gems"
I put Doom related keywords and the name of the WAD level name if applicable. I am wondering what more I can do to get more traffic from such searches?

Randy McKown

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
I am still struggling for views (usually 50 views within first week even with 248 subs :( ) despite I do put a good enough number of keywords related to be video content, as an example can be seen below:
I put Doom related keywords and the name of the WAD level name if applicable. I am wondering what more I can do to get more traffic from such searches?
First thing I noticed was all your videos are Doom Gameplay .. which is an awesome game but I doubt gets much search traffic these days. However, second thing I noticed .. none of them include Doom Gameplay in the title or description and a lot of them don't even include the word Doom at all. I would start there but like I said .. doubt there's much search traffic so you need to work on promotions, social updates, tweeting, finding other doom fans, doom communities, retro gaming groups, etc.

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
First thing I noticed was all your videos are Doom Gameplay .. which is an awesome game but I doubt gets much search traffic these days. However, second thing I noticed .. none of them include Doom Gameplay in the title or description and a lot of them don't even include the word Doom at all. I would start there but like I said .. doubt there's much search traffic so you need to work on promotions, social updates, tweeting, finding other doom fans, doom communities, retro gaming groups, etc.
Almost all is, and the majority is with the Brutal Doom mod, which I don't see many people playing maps exclusively (outside of my buddy Thejoshmon). I should start going through my videos and adding Doom/Doom 2 prefix to them but I have a lot of work as I have over 700 videos to go through! :O

I am a member of the Doomworld forums, the biggest Doom community on the internet and also on iddqd.ru, the largest Russian Doom community but I am also active on multiple forums linking to my channel in my sig with a few showcasing a few select videos that have a lot of action. I fully take advantage of social media such as Twitter and Facebook and even made a Facebook community for my channel, which does get some activity. I have never thought to actually join retro game forums but I know of none.

Randy McKown

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer, Other
Almost all is
Your last video is titled : Obhack Tridux Map22
and the description is: Industro-hell style

I would change that to something like : Original ID Doom Gameplay - Obhack Tridux Map22
description: write something compelling and descriptive. Use sentences and include your keywords you want people to find you with in those sentences. Will most people read it? No ... Will Google read it? Yes ;)

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
I've been adding "Doom:" or "Doom 2:" to the start of the videos I have went through (about 120 or so) so far so that should help some as I have a thing with playlists when I want a megawad or a certain series of maps (IE D!Zone 2 Trash Heap) I put them together so when the suggestions on the right show more from the same series.

[1L2P]Braz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Thanks for this post! I'm going to start putting this in action TODAY! For some reason I never knew about the Keyword Tool, so that's going to be a huge leap for me and hopefully it pays off!

U

unknown_user890475

Nice thread mate. Really enjoyed what you wrote. I have been reading up a bit about SEO over the last few weeks and it is very very interesting. I have tried it on a couple of my videos and noticed an improvement on those videos but it does take some time to set up which can be a pain but still worth it.

So what part of Japan are you in?

Clixess

Reaction score
When I found the forum I was surprised that there isn't a special section here dedicated to YouTube SEO. It's really strange that the place which proclaims itself to be the number 1 YouTube forum doesn't cover one of the most important aspects of YouTube marketing, which is the SEO.

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
Quicky Disclaimer: I'm actually in the process of creating an actual product with more indepth information, so I won't go into "hard earned secrets", but I'll cover the very basics.

SEO = Search Engine Optimization.
And people on this forum need to start doing it.

I've been on this forum less than a day, and already I'm being driven absolutely nuts with the wrongful advice and lack of knowledge here. In this post, I'll give you a brief introduction to SEO, and how it relates to your video.

What is SEO?
SEO stands for "Search Engine Optimization". It is most commonly used for websites, but has just as big an impact on your videos. What it means, is that you fully optimize your content, so that it can be easily found in search engines. And more importantly, that it ranks higher in search engines than other websites or videos.

Why is SEO important?
Why is it NOT? When people find your video or website through searching on Google or YouTube (or other relevant search engine), this is called "Organic Traffic". This is where, if you know just the basics of using SEO, you will get most of your traffic. Optimizing your content properly, means that when someone goes on YouTube and searches "Let's play minecraft" (which gives over 4 million results), your video will be up there on the first page, and not somewhere down on the 11th page (as an example). Literally hundreds of billions of searches are performed every single day.

What is "Keyword Research"?
This means that you research what it is you want to rank for. After all, your new awesome guitar tutorial has no relevance to showing up in a search for "Cute cat videos". So what you need to do, is go and find out what keywords you actually want to rank for. How do you do this? You use either the Google Keyword Tool or the YouTube Keyword Tool. The key to finding a good keyword, is to find one that has a lot of searches, but not a lot of competition. For instance "Guitar tutorial" is going to be hard to rank for: there's already millions (quite literally) of videos with "Guitar tutorial" in their title. But what about "Left-handed guitar picking tutorial"? Now that might be interesting.

How do I optimize for SEO?
Ok, so now that you have a basic idea what this is all about, we need to talk about actually optimizing your content for it. As I said, I can't give out everything (I've done several case studies), but here are the very basics:
Make sure that your keyword(s) are in your title. Make sure that you have used tags relevant to your keyword in your video. Make sure that your EXACT keyword pops up SEVERAL TIMES in your video description. Make sure your video is in a playlist that ALSO has the keywords in it.

How do I optimize further?
Further more, make sure that the first two lines of your description are interesting and attention grabbing. This what will show up when people search for the video. Also, make sure that you have an attention grabbing and inviting thumbnail, as this is also what shows up when people see the video in searches. Think about it like this: even if you manage to rank high in a search result, if no one wants to click on your video, it doesn't matter.

What can you achieve with proper SEO?
One of the case studies I did, was for a friends channel. He has solid quality videos in every aspect, but gets very few views. We took a video that had been receiving zero views for the majority days over the last month. After properly optimizing it (which only took an hour or so for me), it now gets around 80 views a day, consistently. I myself have videos that get over 1000 views a day, purely from searches and related videos from other users.

Below is a screenshot (I apologize, but I can't show more right now) of the views he achieved on his video, after I properly optimized it (and this is only "on-video" optimization, no off-site optimization done).

Further reading!
I suggest you jump on google and type in stuff like "What is SEO" or "How to optimize SEO" or "Best SEO practices" and spend an hour or two reading up on it. It's a pretty intense subject, and people make a living off just doing SEO for others, businesses exist around it, so I don't expect you to become an expert. But knowing just the bare basics of how ranking works in YouTube and Google will save you a lot of headaches.

So please!
STOP saying "there is no magic way to get views" - there is, it's called proper SEO. Stop saying "just make good content!" or silly "be active on social media" BS. It's inefficient advice at best (works well for BIG YouTubers though, with tens of thousands of subs, aka an already existing big following), and it's just blatantly wrong at worst. When people say "mention it on your website/social media/blablabla to help get views", what they might not realize is that what they are doing isn't actually getting views from the website/page/whatever, but creating what is called "backlinks" to the video, which helps it rank better.

I hope this will help some of the newcommers here, or even more established people (who seem proud to get 500 views a video? Really? Over a month, there's no excuse not to get over 1000 views minimum, for a video you're willing to put time into). Best of luck with your future SEO and keyword research!

And last, who am I to tell you this?
I have a Masters (and before that, Bachelors, of course) degree in Visual Communication from the Royal Danish Art Academy, I spent 6 months before that studying Marketing Economics at the Copenhagen Business School, I've done YouTube for 6 years (over several channels), and I've studied SEO techniques over the last 2 years.
Aside from the last part where you kinda... yeaaah.... this post was AMAAAAZIIIINGGGG I'm not sure how to implement it exactly, but I'm gonna try using that google keyword search thing you were talking about next time I put out a video. Very VERY good post!

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for posting the reminder to make more effective descriptions with our videos!