Self promotion?

coratison

Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
What do you think about self promotion (going on forums and posting your stuff for example I don't mean posting on your own twitter)
Do you think it's ok to do? Or does it just seem desperate and annoying?

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I see it as posting on other peoples videos are annoying! I see that as selfish and that you don´t give a damn about the video you are watching, and only thinking about yourself!
If you only post your own videos, it might get annoying, but if you post ordinary posts more than you post your videos, then it´s fine!

Reactions: AmberAndGolden

PopsLetsPlay

UBER Gamer
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would atleast like the video you are watching, and give a very decent comment. Only then, ask if they can check out your video. Don't just go to someones video and say "hey look at my video, thanks"

Reactions: Actioncam.nz

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would atleast like the video you are watching, and give a very decent comment. Only then, ask if they can check out your video. Don't just go to someones video and say "hey look at my video, thanks"
Hey! Would you look at my new video please?! That would be awesome!
*Just Kidding :p*

Reactions: PopsLetsPlay

ColdCoastGaming

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Self promotion is pretty much essential but you have to be careful about how you do it. As the lads above me have said, you can't just go somewhere and start begging for views.

The best self-promotion I've found is just to get active in communities and forums. Comment on things that interest you or you have an opinion on and leave a link to your channel in your signature or at the bottom of your post or something. Curiosity will get people looking, specially if the link is right there.

I'm still new at all this, only been up and running for about a month and I haven't really promoted a great deal or linked up with social media yet, but the channel is slowly growing. I guess I need to get on Reddit (@TheSwedishTraveller I'd need to find the gaming section but man, how do you navigate reddit, it's like the most cluttered unintuitive site I've ever been on!) and make up a Facebook fan page but this is all stuff that comes in time.

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Self-promotion is like everything else; there's nothing with doing it so long as it's not exploitative and spammy to the people who are receiving it. It's largely necessary to do your own advertising -- especially in the beginning, and I think there's nothing wrong with broadly promoting something you've made if it's relevant to the conversation/topic. For instance, if someone happened to have made an entire video about self promotion and they then posted it here in this threadx I don't think that'd be inappropriate, if it furthered the discussion. But if someone just used this forum space to not contribute to the conservation and to JUST spam their own material, that wouldn't be cool.

But again, it's a give and take. I think we all have an innate sense of what does and doesn't cross the line, so I say go with your gut.

coratison

Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I see it as posting on other peoples videos are annoying! I see that as selfish and that you don´t give a damn about the video you are watching, and only thinking about yourself!
If you only post your own videos, it might get annoying, but if you post ordinary posts more than you post your videos, then it´s fine!
Oh yeah I agree with that! Especially if your video doesn't have anything to do with the video you're posting on, I think it could be ok if like popsletsplay said you first show your appreciation for that video and also if your video can be seen as some sort of reply to what youre posting on

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Doing it on other people's channels is spam. Spam is spam. Doesn't matter how "polite" you think you're being. There's nothing polite about spamming your channel on someone else's. It's their channel. Their subs. Not yours. It's rude and annoying and it makes the person look very desperate and needy. It sends out the message that their content isn't very good if they need to spam and they have the time to spam in the first place.

Doing it on your own social media is acceptable because they are your followers (but randomly sending unsolicited tweets and DMs about your content is spam.)

coratison

Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Yeah, fair enough. I see your point about it being their channel and their subscribers. I don't think most people's intentions who do post on other people's channels is to "steal subscribers" or be rude though.

Heather White

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The trust is, not many people will find your videos if you aren't putting them out into the world. You started a channel because you have a message that you want to be heard, so shout it to the mountains! Being active on forums and social media to promote your channel is a great idea to increase your viewers and subscribers. Of course, you shouldn't be only promoting. Share other people's content, and engage with your community.