SELF PROMOTION ONLINE - HOW TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

RYANOWALLS

Super Poster
Now that you have content on your channel and feel you have successfully branded yourself in terms of style, its time to get your stuff out there.

Many people can’t afford to spend money on advertising their channel via those websites that claim to get you loads of views from the audience that you want. Its also not a great idea to do this with a small channel, anyway. So, this article will look at how you can go about promoting yourself online for free.

As mentioned above, a specific style is important when wanting viewers to subscribe and return. Does your channel look messy? Are there lots of different video styles scattered across your Videos tab? Try to be consistent in the use of fonts, animations/transitions, editing styles, etc. to let visitors know exactly how you want your channel to come across.

Just a couple of tips before trying to promote yourself…

Channel Trailer -
Your channel trailer/intro will start playing automatically for people who aren’t subscribed. This means that you want to engage the viewer straight away and keep them wanting more. It is highly recommended, especially for smaller channels, that you keep the trailer very short. You don’t want to bore someone before they watch your main content, because if you do its likely that they won’t bother. A good length would be something around the 30 second mark.

Channel Artwork -
This should also reflect the style of your channel. Don’t make it too busy and distracting, but do use appropriate fonts & imagery.

Okay, so now you’re ready to throw your content out there for others to see. Social media is one of the most obvious platforms that can be used to share content with others. Although it can be a job to manage so many pages/sites, its a good idea to have accounts on as many as possible.

Here are some methods you can use to higher the chances of getting noticed by others:

Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram etc.

These particular sites are some of the most popular social networks out there. As well as sharing on your personal profiles with the people you know, create pages that go by the name of your channel/brand. This gives people the chance to ‘follow’ or ‘like’ to receive future updates.

Encourage people to interact with your content by asking them questions, replying to comments, holding competitions, and sharing relatable things. Ask them what they’d like to see, and respond!

Forums

It looks like you’re already using this method! Its a great way to make contacts, share ideas, and find smaller channels that you like. Be nice to others, and they’ll be nice to you!

Blogs

If you have your own blog, share your stuff on there. However, trying to get featured on other blogs is a great thing to do. Look for blogs that share articles and content in your sector, and see if you can contact the owner and get them to check out your channel. If they’re interested, they may be willing to feature a certain video, or your whole channel, on their site.

Always be ready for rejection here. If they don’t like your videos or they aren’t up for sharing your channel, that’s fair enough - its their blog!

Comments

Visit channels that are similar to yours and take the time to leave comments under videos. I definitely don’t mean writing something like ‘come check out my channel I do…’ or ‘hey I’d love feedback on my latest video'. Instead, watch the person’s video and leave an appropriate comment that is related to the person or video itself, not you! Basically, just interact with people in the comments and let them know you’re around. If they’re interested, they’ll check you out.

Last of all, don’t be put off by slow channel growth! You should be making videos because you enjoy it. Don’t make receiving viewers your main goal. It could take a week, it could take 10 years...

If you have used any other methods of promotion that have shown to be effective, let me know!

I dont think a regular consistent channel would take 10 years to grow but yeah good advice.
I hope not! :D[DOUBLEPOST=1431938117,1431938057][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now that you have content on your channel and feel you have successfully branded yourself in terms of style, its time to get your stuff out there.

Many people can’t afford to spend money on advertising their channel via those websites that claim to get you loads of views from the audience that you want. Its also not a great idea to do this with a small channel, anyway. So, this article will look at how you can go about promoting yourself online for free.

As mentioned above, a specific style is important when wanting viewers to subscribe and return. Does your channel look messy? Are there lots of different video styles scattered across your Videos tab? Try to be consistent in the use of fonts, animations/transitions, editing styles, etc. to let visitors know exactly how you want your channel to come across.

Just a couple of tips before trying to promote yourself…

Channel Trailer -
Your channel trailer/intro will start playing automatically for people who aren’t subscribed. This means that you want to engage the viewer straight away and keep them wanting more. It is highly recommended, especially for smaller channels, that you keep the trailer very short. You don’t want to bore someone before they watch your main content, because if you do its likely that they won’t bother. A good length would be something around the 30 second mark.

Channel Artwork -
This should also reflect the style of your channel. Don’t make it too busy and distracting, but do use appropriate fonts & imagery.

Okay, so now you’re ready to throw your content out there for others to see. Social media is one of the most obvious platforms that can be used to share content with others. Although it can be a job to manage so many pages/sites, its a good idea to have accounts on as many as possible.

Here are some methods you can use to higher the chances of getting noticed by others:

Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram etc.

These particular sites are some of the most popular social networks out there. As well as sharing on your personal profiles with the people you know, create pages that go by the name of your channel/brand. This gives people the chance to ‘follow’ or ‘like’ to receive future updates.

Encourage people to interact with your content by asking them questions, replying to comments, holding competitions, and sharing relatable things. Ask them what they’d like to see, and respond!

Forums

It looks like you’re already using this method! Its a great way to make contacts, share ideas, and find smaller channels that you like. Be nice to others, and they’ll be nice to you!

Blogs

If you have your own blog, share your stuff on there. However, trying to get featured on other blogs is a great thing to do. Look for blogs that share articles and content in your sector, and see if you can contact the owner and get them to check out your channel. If they’re interested, they may be willing to feature a certain video, or your whole channel, on their site.

Always be ready for rejection here. If they don’t like your videos or they aren’t up for sharing your channel, that’s fair enough - its their blog!

Comments

Visit channels that are similar to yours and take the time to leave comments under videos. I definitely don’t mean writing something like ‘come check out my channel I do…’ or ‘hey I’d love feedback on my latest video'. Instead, watch the person’s video and leave an appropriate comment that is related to the person or video itself, not you! Basically, just interact with people in the comments and let them know you’re around. If they’re interested, they’ll check you out.

Last of all, don’t be put off by slow channel growth! You should be making videos because you enjoy it. Don’t make receiving viewers your main goal. It could take a week, it could take 10 years...

If you have used any other methods of promotion that have shown to be effective, let me know!
Thank you for the advice!! :)

It's taken me about 2 years of video posts to get the 53 subs that I have now. I'm trying to do more self promoting through Tumblr and Reddit. I think that was my problem last time, I didn't spend enough time trying to network with people and get my stuff out there. Thank you for the list, it's very helpful for small channels that are trying to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back