Script Writing Pointers

Im looking for some pointers for script writing, i used to just wing it and talk from the top of my head, but in my last couple of videos i've either scripted or had a plan. All i want is some tips to make a gripping script! Thanks for your time, Connor!

My scripting starts in my head with how I'm going to present certain parts. If I have dialogue for what I want to say, I will jot it down as such. I will write down main points I'm going to cover, but in no particular order. The point is just try to get everything you want to cover.

After I have what I believe is everything, I order those points how I think they should be. Stuff plays through my head, and I'll write some dialogue down if it comes up.

Even with a script, I improv most of it. The reason is that I don't want it to sound scripted, and it's also more challenging. I myself don't like videos that sound scripted, and like stuff that sounds more natural. The main point of my script is to make sure I cover everything.

I studied Scriptwriting for Film and Television at University. I had a great time and it did teach me some things, but there's only so much these types of things can do. I write in a way that probably isn't considered proper. I start with lots of random ideas/lines/scenes and the plot comes later. Not a very professional way of doing things. But that's the joy of YouTube. Creative control.

Experiment with different levels of script-improv.

Don't be afraid of putting a video up, leaving it for a week, then returning to see if you still like it. If you don't then remove it and work on the bits that you think need improving. Writing is re-writing and all that...

Back