Script or nah?

InfiniteTrinity

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm just curious about whether or not you write a script for your videos or if you just jump in front of the camera and just talk.

I usually don't plan out a script and just jump into action, so I often have to edit out a lot of silence and awkwardness but I find it confusing to rely solely on a script or outline.

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It depends on the video. If I'm doing a comprehensive 10+ minute long guide I'll do an audio only video and have text on screen documenting every step I'm asking the viewer to go through. I'll use a script for those since it's easy for me to read off a script when not on camera.

For the videos where I'm on camera I'll plan out what I'm going to say roughly, but I won't use a script. I know what you mean about having to edit out a bunch. I'm dreading the day if/when I accidentally leave some parts of a video unedited and my viewers get to see 45 seconds of me staring blankly at the camera deep in thought haha.

Reactions: InfiniteTrinity

InfiniteTrinity

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It depends on the video. If I'm doing a comprehensive 10+ minute long guide I'll do an audio only video and have text on screen documenting every step I'm asking the viewer to go through. I'll use a script for those since it's easy for me to read off a script when not on camera.

For the videos where I'm on camera I'll plan out what I'm going to say roughly, but I won't use a script. I know what you mean about having to edit out a bunch. I'm dreading the day if/when I accidentally leave some parts of a video unedited and my viewers get to see 45 seconds of me staring blankly at the camera deep in thought haha.
Yeah, that's understandable. I've done a few skits where I've had to plan it out in order to work out the kinks and details, but I haven't done that in a long time.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategy / Technique advice forum. ^^

Samira

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never write a script but i do write notes so i don't forget what i wanted to talk about (also speeds up the process)

However this either leads to a lot of editing (which i dont mind) and sometimes not explaining a topic exacly how i would of liked (practice i guess )

Reactions: InfiniteTrinity

okaysimi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I try to plan have an outline of what I'm going to say with key points I want to mention but I speak freely into the camera. I check my notes every now and then to make sure I haven't missed anything. It does require a lot of editing afterwards but it seems the most natural (for me) and I also find it more fun than reading from a script.

Reactions: Samira

TheMrSanity

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the video BUT I would say if you want to do a video where you are telling viewers steps, I would say write the steps down so you don't end up forgetting. If its about say topics you are talking about with friends or alone, Have them in generalized format so when you bring them up, you know what they were.

EleetRyder

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I do GoPro Hockey videos...Wish i could script it, I'd make every game a nail biter lol

Reactions: Finessejuugrs

Tisha

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sometimes I write a script for my tutorials but you have to be careful of sounding too scripted. Use it as a guideline but try to sounds more like you as much as possible.

InfiniteTrinity

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never write a script but i do write notes so i don't forget what i wanted to talk about (also speeds up the process)

However this either leads to a lot of editing (which i dont mind) and sometimes not explaining a topic exacly how i would of liked (practice i guess )
Yeah, I usually have a lot of editing to do as well. I wouldn't mind it as much if I had a better computer and editing program, but it's still not too bad. Scripts for everyday videos usually confuse me and I end up planning things wrong XD[DOUBLEPOST=1488254295,1488254236][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sometimes I write a script for my tutorials but you have to be careful of sounding too scripted. Use it as a guideline but try to sounds more like you as much as possible.
Yeah, that's understandable.

Reactions: Samira