Scheduled Videos Performing Badly

thefourwinds

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm pretty sure the schedule function has no bearing on a video's performance. I used to manually upload and publish mine at the exact time (because I also feared the same thing as you all), but I've scheduled everything now and there has been no difference. The added advantage to uploading ahead of time is that you can check copyright claims before your video goes public.

The *real* question here is that is there a difference in performance between an unlisted vs private video. I always upload as scheduled private, but I see Youtube's own monetization check guidelines suggest using the "unlisted" function instead. Any thoughts here?

Reactions: Michael

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've noticed that when my friends say they're scheduling a video in advance, I don't get the phone notification when it goes up and I only ever see it later when I'm looking at my subscription feed.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be honest, hearing all this kinda worries me. I've been using the schedule function for a year and a half now, sometimes uploading 3 days in advance, other times just a few hours. But I need to schedule them now because I am in a different time zone to my audience.. I haven't heard complaints about the notifications though.
It is concerning me a lot because I had to upload around 30 videos in advance that I spent time on deliberately to get ahead while I knew I wouldnt be able to make them. It is a joke how much the views have changed. I am going to go back to doing them on the day if this carries on.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am going to try a fresh video tomorrow and see if theres a difference and cancel the currently scheduled ones, if the views go right back up after a couple of uploads say, it would seem something, whatever that something may be is up with it :D

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I am going to try a fresh video tomorrow and see if theres a difference and cancel the currently scheduled ones, if the views go right back up after a couple of uploads say, it would seem something, whatever that something may be is up with it :D
Yeah definitely report back and tell us what the results are.

Another possibility is that there is a seasonal dip - Easter was at a weird date this year and then there was Spring break in the US and then a load of public holidays like Labour day etc etc. Could be due to that ?

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont think it will be but I will just see how it goes with a fresh upload. If it does well and the next few do after it will mean something is up. I wonder if it is deliberate to put people off scheduling so far in advance, I sound like one of those "We never landed on the moon" people :p

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I sound like one of those "We never landed on the moon" people :p
Heeey now lol... I do think we have landed on the moon, but I question the legitimacy of the "first ever" 1969 American moon landing... :p

On topic again...
I was talking to Crown about this earlier... I suspect there may have been a recent algorithm shift. I've been recommended some really weird videos lately, and I don't think my viewing history has changed that much. :eek:

Reactions: Michael and Crown

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I schedule almost all my vids and have seen no drop in views. I am 12 hours time difference from most of my viewers (I am in the Philippines, 70% of my views are US). So I always had to upload as unlisted, then publish right before going to bed... then I discovered the scheduler.

I post 2 a week (Mon & Fri), and stack em as I make em. I am about a month ahead of myself right now. I like the feeling of being ahead of schedule. It leaves me no pressure, and I can work on the videos without feeling rushed. I have 6 or 8 scheduled right now, and 5 in various stages of editing (my work flow is horrid ha ha)

I do sometimes release on Wed, without the scheduler. If I have something time sensitive, or just a silly day running around town. Those vids usually do perform better. I do not think it is the scheduling that does it, more the spontaneity. They are fresh, fun, silly vids. People like those. Vacation vids tend to be pretty planned out, I made a spur of the moment vid about trying to pay the electric bill... took over 3 hours (computers down at money store), getting lunch, looking at girls (but the guys were hitting on me) in the plaza, drinking Smirnoff at iMart... just goofing off. The viewers loved it. I do not blame the scheduler for that...

I love the scheduler, and it seems to get as good a views as any other way, for me.