Animation Samurai History Animation(s)?

Dickjutsu

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hello all, I run the Japanese History web series called Samurai Gaiden. I'm looking to do a few highlighted videos through collaboration with a live-action filmer and/or an animator.

-Animation-
I have a few topics where I'd like to be able to feature animated segment(s) in my videos. These would be short bits, perhaps even only a few frames.

I'd like to make a somewhat regular thing, but whatever you are willing to provide.

The first, most pressing one, is on the topic of seppuku (also called Harakiri); the ritual art of suicide.

I can either script/storyboard things out entirely for you, or I can give you a guided checklist and let you roll with it however you like.

-Basic Information-
Only the animation is necessary, I can handle all audio needs on my own end.

It doesn't have to be full AAA style animation, of course. I am 100% down with key framing; even if you just give me an assortment of frames and I throw them in, myself.

Timeline is fairly lax, 1 month minimum deadline (if you can do it quicker than that, I won't be upset, haha).

-Collab Info-
I can feature your channel in my videos and link to you and I'm willing to offer reciprocating collabs, as well. I can research or write and I have connections to the Voice Actor industry (I am not a great one, myself, but I have worked with Funimation employees and amateurs of their quality).

Let me know if anyone is interested in a little collaboration with an old history nerd.

Thanks!

~Rich

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
Sounds fun. You still doing it?

Dickjutsu

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Most assuredly. I'd love to get a proper seppuku video off the ground.

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
How would you like to present it? I currently do 2d animations. Also, would you like blood to be shown at all? I understand it is for educational purposes, so I ask just in case any children stumble upon a gruesome animated video.

Dickjutsu

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
2D animation is fine. Like the title of a DiCaprio film...there will be blood. We don't necessarily need to get into the nitty-gritty of showing a pile of entrails on the floor at his feet. We'll mainly be dealing with the development of Seppuku and how the ritual evolved. I figure for a few scenes to be dedicated to Minamoto no Tametomo's death, the first recorded occurrence of seppuku as we know it, then a second scene dedicated to his uncle Yorimasa, from whom the ritual of Jisei (death poems) really become normalized. Then progress through the ritual as it became in the Edo period when Seppuku, as we know it, was ritually formalized.

Of course barring that, if you're more comfortable doing the Cha no Yu (Tea Ceremony), it's another one I'd like to have animated to show the ritual behind a historic Japanese event.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Animator
2D animation is fine. Like the title of a DiCaprio film...there will be blood. We don't necessarily need to get into the nitty-gritty of showing a pile of entrails on the floor at his feet. We'll mainly be dealing with the development of Seppuku and how the ritual evolved. I figure for a few scenes to be dedicated to Minamoto no Tametomo's death, the first recorded occurrence of seppuku as we know it, then a second scene dedicated to his uncle Yorimasa, from whom the ritual of Jisei (death poems) really become normalized. Then progress through the ritual as it became in the Edo period when Seppuku, as we know it, was ritually formalized.

Of course barring that, if you're more comfortable doing the Cha no Yu (Tea Ceremony), it's another one I'd like to have animated to show the ritual behind a historic Japanese event.
I can definitely do the Seppuku and depending on how well that goes, I can do the Tea Ceremony as well. If you would like to send me certain files or script, you can send to my email: theboxer9846@gmail.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Dickjutsu

Dickjutsu

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Sounds great! I'll e-mail you some information.

Reactions: KPM