Rode VideoMicro (any users)?

AustinCollings

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I am trying to find a good external microphone for both my Canon EOS M and GoPro for my vlogs. Has anyone had any hands-on experience with the microphone, and if so, what is your opinion on it?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I got one a month or two ago.
I've used it extensively outdoors with my iPhone and does a great job IF it's not windy. If it's windy, even with the wind sock on, it clips real bad.
Indoors, for recording my product reviews, it's not so great. I do my reviews in the garage and it still picks up a lot of echo. In a room with better acoustics it's probably fine.
I did a review of the mic a month or so ago which is on my channel - has some comparisons of outdoors, with and without the mic.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don't recommend any Rode that isn't the Videomic Go or Pro, other than that not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I don't recommend any Rode that isn't the Videomic Go or Pro, other than that not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree.

The VideoMicro is a great little mic.

Is it as good as the VideoMic Pro? No, of course not, but it's like a third of the cost.

If your budget can only stretch to the micro, it's a great little mic to buy as you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I love it because it's versatile. I can use it with my camera, my audio recorder, my smartphone, or with an action camera. The fact that it doesn't need any batteries also means that there's no risk of you losing audio.

I use the Shure VP83 as my main shotgun camera mic and the VideoMicro in other situations.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Does yours clip real bad in the wind?
No it's not too bad. Just make sure you use the dead kitten with it when outside.

Again, don't expert the world. This is a cheap mic to buy, but it does well.

It costs about a quarter of the price of my Shure VP83 and it is far from being a quarter of the quality.

I've got a review on my YouTube channel which has lots of audio tests.

If there is anything else you're unsure of let me know and I can answer here or perhaps even jump on Skype and talk about it and show you.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I got one a month or two ago.
I've used it extensively outdoors with my iPhone and does a great job IF it's not windy. If it's windy, even with the wind sock on, it clips real bad.
Indoors, for recording my product reviews, it's not so great. I do my reviews in the garage and it still picks up a lot of echo. In a room with better acoustics it's probably fine.
I did a review of the mic a month or so ago which is on my channel - has some comparisons of outdoors, with and without the mic.
Sorry. I had missed this post originally. I didn't realise you already have it.

Is there a way of adjusting the gain level when recording through your iPhone?

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Cant adjust the mic gain with the stock iOS camera app which we use most often because for the type of videos we make, we need to be able to point and record quickly. FilmicPro lets us adjust the mic gain but it takes too long to setup for most of our shots.

Kevin Muldoon

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
You're going to have the same problem with every shotgun mic you have.

It won't matter whether you are using the VideoMicro or a $250 shotgun mic, if you can't control gain correctly via the device there is always a risk of clipping in pound environments.

My Shure VP83, and the VideoMic Pro, has a -10db and +20db option to help in situations like this. That might work better.