Roast my channel! New Offshore Entrepreneur and Tax Startup Channel

theremotev

Hey guys I'm just starting a new channel, that focuses on How to start, grow and save money on taxes for your Startup. Topics include hiring staffing, managing remote resources, opening businesses and bank account around the world, and of course save money on taxes.

New Channel is called "Remote Ventures" you can find here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCnSSNjR1TUIJkkVUVLxqHw

1) Can you give me a good roast on overall style of channel, do you like the Banner, the Icon and the Thumbnails.
2) I would love to now what you think of my intro bumper video its at 11 seconds in on this video here
3) The topics are quite a wide range, any suggestions on how to narrow in and grow my initial 100 subscribers?

Once again thanks a bunch !

If you ask me, your channel looks fine, but I'm not the foremost expert on beauty and appeal. Mine looks absolutely horrible compared to yours, but it still took off on a path to 3k subs and hopefully 400k views before the end of 2019. Almost 100% growth has been organic, most through YT search and with only 76 videos, but I am in a completely different niche where people seem to readily forgive crap video quality.

For thumbnails, less seems to generally be more in my experience. I follow very ugly, simplistic formulas with my thumbnails, but they work out just fine in the end. I noticed the less text I have on them, the more those few carefully selected words drive up CTRs. My channel average is around 6%, but I've noticed whenever my videos break the 10% mark, I get more impressions and clicks from YT Homepage for a short period before it plummets down to single digits.
Your colorful, pretty thumbnails look nice, but I have to question their effectiveness and whether they truly stand out from the rest - most of my prettier, image-heavy thumbnails with lots of explainer words have bad CTRs and those videos have low viewcounts. This makes me think people these days click more on simple, even ugly stuff because it's just more noticeable in the sea of carefully crafted masterful Photoshop works. However, you're the only one with statistics, so play around a bit before you're comfortable with the style that drives the best CTRs. Above anything, don't listen to me or anybody that tells you to do something some way. Everybody's channel is different and if something works for you, don't fix it.

Not sure where those 10-20 views on your videos came from (maybe they all came from YTTalk?!), but if they're organic views from Homepage/Recommended/suggested/search and you legit got 9 subscribers from just 3 videos and ~60 views... mate, keep uploading. Your views and subs remind me of my first 3 videos. Just getting 1-3 new views every day back then felt like big deal. Now, if I finish a day with below 1k views I feel defeated XD.

Now, I'm super ignorant when it comes to topics you discuss in your videos, so everything I say from now on might be completely useless, but aren't startups as a niche narrow to begin with? I can't imagine tens of millions of people being interested in what you're talking about. Startups are still entrepreneurial in nature and in my somewhat limited experience dealing with the general population, the overwhelming majority of ordinary people still hunt for stable jobs and fixed monthly paychecks. So, I just feel like you niched-down deep enough already.

I guess you could further niche down and only talk about very narrow, specific startup topics, but you'll just have to figure that out on your own I'm afraid. Keep making new videos - "fail fast and fail often" or whatever the mantra is... You can only learn by doing anyway, and every channel and every niche is different, so just keep uploading to see what works best for you

If you ask me, your channel looks fine, but I'm not the foremost expert on beauty and appeal. Mine looks absolutely horrible compared to yours, but it still took off on a path to 3k subs and hopefully 400k views before the end of 2019. Almost 100% growth has been organic, most through YT search and with only 76 videos, but I am in a completely different niche where people seem to readily forgive crap video quality.

Interesting your channel grew from organic search in YT? Did you have to bootstrap the initial traffic at all or just keep hitting the right keywords in YT?

Interesting your channel grew from organic search in YT? Did you have to bootstrap the initial traffic at all or just keep hitting the right keywords in YT?

I was and still am deep into the hobby as an active participant. I knew it was and still is growing, thousands of new people are picking it up every day, so I just kept going after keywords I knew were popular. Didn't even bother with Reddit because all major subreddits are super anal regarding self-promotion. FB and Twitter didn't work out either, I think I got like 3 views total for all my painstaking attempts to garner some audience from those places.

So, I just focused on trying to max out my chances to land in the top 3 spots for search. I haven't been successful in that regard with all my videos, but my 3rd video still pulls the most daily search traffic. It's not the most glamourous growth and I have no idea whether I'm close to or light-years away from "blowing up" all of a sudden, but two of my recent videos hit the YT homepage for a few days right after I uploaded them - they seemingly broke some kind of "algorithm ceiling" as the analytics graph visibly shows significant increases in hourly impressions that occurred after YT decided to expose the videos to a lot of new people who never even heard about my channel. The surge of new people has now stopped, the newest 2 videos hit the usual 500-1,500 views mark and stopped to a grinding halt, so my excitement has been replaced by reality again - when a surge subsides, rely on search.

However, the overall growth pattern has been super slow, but constant for the past year and the trickles of search traffic keep incrementally growing with each new video. November has been my best month so far. Combining the aforementioned 2 mini-virals and good old search traffic I managed to break the 35k views & 250 new subs mark.
https://www.screencast.com/t/4QSZi92fBacN (November 30th is still not counted)

The search traffic is small, slow, but it just never stops. That's why I always say, I have 76 videos on my channel, but if I had 76 more videos, I'd need 76 more videos :D

Back