Review pl0x

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Hello all I haven't asked for a review of my channel for nearly half a year but here I am. I took a bit of a hiatus but came back as I have slowly been experiencing growth quite steadily. I have no concerns with growth as i gain an average 2-3 subscribers a day however I would like to know what I could do better. I have bought a go pro to improve video quality and bought a better microphone. I have also attempted to improve on my visuals although the research element of my content is most important. I specialize in Soviet and Russian History. I want to be the largest English speaking youtube channel for Russian and Soviet history. Link is below. Bye.

Jake Bee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The pace is great. The information is polished, and the visuals are on point.

I see three areas that could improve. These are pretty minor though, as I think your content is pretty darn solid. If I had to identify one true limitation, it is that your target demographic is very small. English speaking Russian History. But that's not helpful, as this is clearly what you're passionate about, so let's focus on how to maximize the result within that demographic.

1. Have a strong opening and closing. As they say in writing class. Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them. Make sure to bookend your presentation with a overview and a summary.
2. Ask for them to subscribe. This is the number 1 way to get more subscribers. As creators, we always consider subbing when we see a good video, but viewers don't do that. I have seen first hand what a strong call to action can do for a channel.
3. Look at the current course work of universities and primary schools related to your topic and create videos and playlists that map to the curriculum they are teaching. This will allow people to follow along with your videos while taking related course. You may already be doing this but I'm not familiar enough with your material to know.

I hope you find these tips helpful. Keep up the good work!

Jake Bee

Austerpower

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The pace is great. The information is polished, and the visuals are on point.

I see three areas that could improve. These are pretty minor though, as I think your content is pretty darn solid. If I had to identify one true limitation, it is that your target demographic is very small. English speaking Russian History. But that's not helpful, as this is clearly what you're passionate about, so let's focus on how to maximize the result within that demographic.

1. Have a strong opening and closing. As they say in writing class. Tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them. Make sure to bookend your presentation with a overview and a summary.
2. Ask for them to subscribe. This is the number 1 way to get more subscribers. As creators, we always consider subbing when we see a good video, but viewers don't do that. I have seen first hand what a strong call to action can do for a channel.
3. Look at the current course work of universities and primary schools related to your topic and create videos and playlists that map to the curriculum they are teaching. This will allow people to follow along with your videos while taking related course. You may already be doing this but I'm not familiar enough with your material to know.

I hope you find these tips helpful. Keep up the good work!

Jake Bee
This is actually deeply insightful advise and really appreciate it. I would agree the target audience seems small from the naked eye but I can assure you it is a hungry one. This is because Russian history evidently covers history of the Second World War, which broadens the subject a lot. And it's also funny because I am starting to get a lot of Russians on my videos. Thank you again for the recommendations. I have thought about doing openings and closing statements but felt it would be too cliche. I follow a format similar to Masaman where I just delve right into the heart of the beast. I will however consider this.

buzzcuts

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
Neat channel. I think you could easily double your subscribers with some strong, consistent branding in your header/thumbnails.

Have you experienced with longer videos? I feel like your audience would probably be down for more in-depth content and would happily watch 10-25mins on popular topics, but perhaps you're one step ahead of me and have found that does't fly.