Revealing your real identity? Yes or No?

Reveal your Identity on Youtube

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BobbyKryptonite

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Moved to the YouTube main forum. :)

(I'd say it's particulary important for children not to reveal their identity or where they live / go to school. )
Yes, when I started I always made sure my school uniform wasn't in the back ground if I was filming in my room, I did vlog outside, but never outside my house. I would also say to think very carefully about who (if anyone) people using fake names reveal their real names to. I used to be a mod on a forum ran by someone who was banned on here, we ended up becoming friends, and I felt safe enough with him being a friend on my personal facebook, he later turned out to be not a very nice person (probably why they were banned on here) so I cut him off, a while later I found he was trying to create trouble for me, spreading lies about me. The internet is a wonderful and dangerous place, stay safe everyone <3

Reactions: Crown

Sunsbookishgamesx

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger, Gamer
i think if you build up a following never showing your face it can be so hard to then do a reveal

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
But won't people whom you just met be able to add you? Not saying online, but real life acquaintances.
if they have at least one mutual friend with me on facebook then yes they would be able to add me if not then no I have to add them, if that's what you mean

Dismal Bliss

www.BDRC.tv
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
and my channel name used to be my full name thanks to google plus, until I found a way to change it to what it is now
Which means you had to change your Google Plus name to ItsBecky also. I still like to use my real name on G+ so I am stuck using it on YouTube also.

But, as I said, I haven't had anonymity on the internet for probably 8 or 9 years, so I kinda don't care anymore.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Unless your name is Armand Tamzariam you probably have the same name as 10000 other people, so it's no problem.

SinLeviathan

Reaction score
I'd say if anything just use a stage name like most actors and writers.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well I had my ugly mug on camera from day one. Wouldn't be much of a cooking show of people didn't know who I was. Depends on the type of content you make as to Wether a face is important. I mean you couldn't really produce a reaction channel without showing your face, neither a cooking channel in my opinion. My face is also part of my brand, and also I can express myself in ways that just showing my hands chopping an onion, can't. So I do both. ☺

paullaskovids

Well-rounded punk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Vlogger, Comedian
I think fans like when there is a bit of mystery behind the on-air persona. It can also help establish thematic community; a common bond.
That being said, I kind of wish I was a bit more creative with my online identity. Because clearly I thought using my real name was a good idea at the time. :giggle:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yes, when I started I always made sure my school uniform wasn't in the back ground if I was filming in my room, I did vlog outside, but never outside my house. I would also say to think very carefully about who (if anyone) people using fake names reveal their real names to. I used to be a mod on a forum ran by someone who was banned on here, we ended up becoming friends, and I felt safe enough with him being a friend on my personal facebook, he later turned out to be not a very nice person (probably why they were banned on here) so I cut him off, a while later I found he was trying to create trouble for me, spreading lies about me. The internet is a wonderful and dangerous place, stay safe everyone <3

Yeah that's all good advice.

People seem to be talking about showing your face or not. It's not so much an issue of deciding whether or not to show your face. It's one thing letting people see your face, it's quite another to reveal where you live, where you work,, when you're going on holiday, etc etc.

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So i just use my first name and a sketch of my face but nothing more..
What's your way of tackling this whole identity on youtube thingy?
I mean...It's not like I show my face in my videos...Oh wait...I do...

I mean...At least people don't know my first name...Oh wait...they do...

I mean...It really depends on what you mean by "identity"...XD