Reusing Movie Trailers & Other Creators' Videos

KoalaNene

Reaction score
Hi guys, channels such as movie reviews use movie trailers A LOT in their videos. What is the rule regarding reusing movie trailers? Is it allowed? What's the maximum duration I'm allowed to use them for?

And also, those "top 10 list" channels, they got their materials mostly from using a short duration of other creators videos a lot usually a few seconds. So what is the rule? I've heard maximum 14 seconds? Is that true?
Thanks a lot in advance! I really appreciate your info.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / claims / legal forum. :)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Any "maximum duration" statements you have heard are urban myths. A video can be copyright claimed or struck for a single second of unlicensed copyright content.

As unlicensed copyright content is a violation of YouTube's Terms of Service, Community Guidelines and AdSense Content Policy, plus it's also a TOS violation to download videos from YouTube that you don't own, there is only one rule you need to follow.

License all content you don't own that you intend to use in your videos; and if your intent is to have a monetized channel eventually, make sure the license you get is commercial rather than personal.

Acerthorn

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Hi guys, channels such as movie reviews use movie trailers A LOT in their videos. What is the rule regarding reusing movie trailers?
Reviews are fair use, so you can use content from that movie as part of your review. Movie trailers usually contain clips from the movie.

You can also directly reference the movie trailer if you are reviewing something that is specific to the trailer (e.g. something the trailer promised that the movie doesn't deliver on).