Requesting Advice

BowsMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have started my YouTube channel and want to begin uploading constant content however I know that no one wants to watch a random person playing games, I have to differentiate, bring fresh and unique content. The thing with that is that I don't know how to come up with unique and fresh ideas to then turn into content. I am really stuck!

All advice is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: HC.SameerPatil

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
What's your goal with youtube? If you want $$, subs, & views, as your main goal, skip gaming.

If you would rather have no audience and no $$, but you get to justify spending a lot of your time playing video games and doing what you like, then go gaming channel.

To find a niche you have to find a value proposition that you can bring that is unique to you. What do you do with gaming that's different from your friends?

Part of the reason most let's plays are garbage is because people think it's just recording a voice over on a gaming session. Completely wrong. It's about creating a narrative structure and plot throughout the video. Good content of all types takes lots of time planning and executing.

BowsMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What's your goal with youtube? If you want $$, subs, & views, as your main goal, skip gaming.

If you would rather have no audience and no $$, but you get to justify spending a lot of your time playing video games and doing what you like, then go gaming channel.

To find a niche you have to find a value proposition that you can bring that is unique to you. What do you do with gaming that's different from your friends?

Part of the reason most let's plays are garbage is because people think it's just recording a voice over on a gaming session. Completely wrong. It's about creating a narrative structure and plot throughout the video. Good content of all types takes lots of time planning and executing.
Why would you skip gaming?

Secondly that is what I am asking, what can I do to promote thought and think of fresh ideas.

Slothound

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's a tough one considering the competition in your category. I'm not going to propose a specific concept but instead an idea that might help you come up with one. Start making videos first. Decide what you like and are good at. Get some feedback from other people as far as what they find unique about you and do more of that. It may sound ambiguous but should help identify what it is you do differently and hopefully that is something you can concentrate on. This will give you plenty of practice and you'll be able to watch yourself and think about what stands out. Try to fill in the blank: "BowsMind- the gamer that __________"

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
Why would you skip gaming?

Secondly that is what I am asking, what can I do to promote thought and think of fresh ideas.
I'd skip it because it's over saturated. The problem with asking for what your niche should be is that nobody but you knows what your strengths are or what you're more interested in doing.

If you want generic answers:
  • Tutorials
  • Boundary Breaks
  • Lore explanations
  • Fan theories
  • World building of the game
Let's plays specifically, learn to tell a story. Not literally voice out a story, but learn to have a character arc inside your filming.
  1. Video starts with you learning a new gun
  2. Then you try out the gun and start getting good.
  3. WOAH what's this? Another player with the same gun competing with you?
  4. "Let's learn from him / beat him"
  5. We did it guys, we completed the hero's journey and won the match!
The best way to learn that is the books "The Hero with 1000 faces" and "Story by robert mckee"

BowsMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd skip it because it's over saturated. The problem with asking for what your niche should be is that nobody but you knows what your strengths are or what you're more interested in doing.

If you want generic answers:
  • Tutorials
  • Boundary Breaks
  • Lore explanations
  • Fan theories
  • World building of the game
Let's plays specifically, learn to tell a story. Not literally voice out a story, but learn to have a character arc inside your filming.
  1. Video starts with you learning a new gun
  2. Then you try out the gun and start getting good.
  3. WOAH what's this? Another player with the same gun competing with you?
  4. "Let's learn from him / beat him"
  5. We did it guys, we completed the hero's journey and won the match!
The best way to learn that is the books "The Hero with 1000 faces" and "Story by robert mckee"
I love gaming but I would also love vlogging but no one would watch a dude living an average to boring life vlog, so I thought I'd start of with gaming and once i build quite a big following transition into vlogs or similar

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategy / technique advice discussion forum. ^_^

Reactions: Crown

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I love gaming but I would also love vlogging but no one would watch a dude living an average to boring life vlog, so I thought I'd start of with gaming and once i build quite a big following transition into vlogs or similar
You gotta do what you're passionate about, as you'll need that passion to take you over the threshold, pass the tests, build allies and confront your demons, go through the rebirth and emerge triumphant (continuing the hero's journey from the post above). Btw those books and info by Joseph Cambell are worth their weight in gold!

Reactions: zhkopec

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally as someone who started doing daily gaming videos around 2 1/2 months ago I've been pretty pleased with how things turned out (just over 50 subs & 8000 channel views)

The market is very competitive but I think you gradually start to find your own area and once you start to get a bit of a base going you find your niche and can target you videos into areas others don't.

A few quick tips would be:

- Target games just as they are released, these have always been my most successful videos
- I found targeting smaller indie games to be more successful as your not competing against the huge call of duty type youtubers
- be consistent in uploading to your schedule
- Do a bit of research into SEO & tags etc so you can try and pick up a bit more search traffic

Good luck :-D

BowsMind

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Personally as someone who started doing daily gaming videos around 2 1/2 months ago I've been pretty pleased with how things turned out (just over 50 subs & 8000 channel views)

The market is very competitive but I think you gradually start to find your own area and once you start to get a bit of a base going you find your niche and can target you videos into areas others don't.

A few quick tips would be:

- Target games just as they are released, these have always been my most successful videos
- I found targeting smaller indie games to be more successful as your not competing against the huge call of duty type youtubers
- be consistent in uploading to your schedule
- Do a bit of research into SEO & tags etc so you can try and pick up a bit more search traffic

Good luck :-D
I'm going to try!
Thanks mate