[Request] Sounding more enthusiastic

JayCork

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have quite a dry, borderline, monotone way of speaking. I used to make tutorial videos which didn't really affect the quality of the video too much as they kind of suited each other. Now I've started to create different videos which require me to be more "TV presenter" style of delivery. It takes me a while to move out of the groggy voice I have and into a more human voice even when I'm with my friends, so I'm really struggling getting to that stage whilst reading a script and talking into a camera. I'm sure other people struggle/struggled with something similar. Does anyone have any advice?

GamingHappens

HEY LOOK! a distraction!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think everyone does in the beginning and as you do more and more you get more use to the subject but it also helps when you love the subject it I can't really say much for scripts since i'm a gaming channel and its more or less all natural reactions but try to act I guess more excited about the thing your talking about

c4geron

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Pop a red bull before you record or do a line of coke or something and you'll have enthusiasm out the a**...

...I kid. Its something that will come along the more comfortable you get in front of a camera/microphone.

Reactions: ChunkeyPanda

FantasyGamerX

'Cause Grades.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian, Gamer
You have to entertain yourself. Talk about topics that would make you laugh or get energized and then do just that! Don't script commentary, talk about what comes to your mind[DOUBLEPOST=1370547191,1370547172][/DOUBLEPOST]
Pop a red bull before you record or do a line of coke or something and you'll have enthusiasm out the a**...
And do that ^

JustAGuyWithAName

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would recommend more mephedrone than the average human can consume, right before recording.

Alternatively, it might help to note that you'll generally feel more comfortable with it as time goes by, and that'll be reflected in your voice. But also the mephedrone.

UAP

I've Got It
Reaction score
Depending on your videos you could have some bouncy music in the background, not too loud to take away from what you are saying but just loud enough to add to the enthusisam

Reactions: JayCork

JayCork

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depending on your videos you could have some bouncy music in the background, not too loud to take away from what you are saying but just loud enough to add to the enthusisam
Good idea :) I was supposed to record some a while ago, but I've lost a cable I need :(

allisonmacd

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Before you record do something to get your heart rate up. Jumping jacks, sprinting around the house, flailing around to your favorite song...you'd think this would just get you out of breath and tired but it gets the adrenaline going and helps you sound more alive.
Also, standing up (if at all possible while you're recording) helps a lot

jbird

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have this same problem, but one thing that usually works for me is right before I go to record a commentary I'll listen to some of my favorite music or just some really upbeat music to get me pumped up, and then afterwards I'm usually in a bubbly and happy mood so it makes my commentaries better :D