Request: Science Based Seminar Channels

TheBoothParadigm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
This may seem incredibly nerdy, but I love watching science seminars and discussions (particularly Psychology and Physics) from university's, colleges, ted talks and other such places. However it is hard to find a channel on youtube or even a forum on the web that consistently posts new seminars.
I was just wondering if anyone out there in the community knows a channel or forum like this and could point me in the right direction.
That being said I have already subscribed to most of the major university's and colleges channels as well as MAPS and Ted.

Thanks for the help if any comes.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The school I went to started to set up free non-credited online classes. I took the water class a few years ago, and all the PowerPoint presentations were posted as unlisted YouTube videos.. I'm not sure why they had them as unlisted. =( There was a lot of interaction on the class discussion forums! It might be something fun to do, but it's not really a lecture:
online.colostate.edu/free-online-courses

There are also neat free classes at
edx.org
But some of them are HARD! omg...I spent so many hours doing Python homework... T_T

A bit different than a seminar channel, but it might give you some ideas! ^^

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yay for education channels ^^

I think you'll like "Periodic Videos" ( https://www.youtube.com/user/periodicvideos ) - a channel about chemistry run by British professor, Martyn Poliakoff, who was in fact knighted by the Queen last year for his work. So he is in fact now Sir Martyn Poliakoff.

His channel started off to teach people about the 118 elements on the periodic table. Once the series’ creators ran out of elements, they expanded into other areas of science. His videos are amazing.

Check out his video about gold from a gold bullion vault in London:

Reactions: KatyAdelson

TheBoothParadigm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check out the free class powerpoints as they usually have something interesting in them.
I have heard of edx.org but never visited, will also check that out.
And Python can definitely be tricky, I took a python and C class last semester at my university and you really need to stay on top of the ball to not fall behind.

Also thank you for taking the time to reply Crown, I have been watching periodic videos for quite some time now and they are solid educational videos, however I was looking for something a bit more advanced than something like periodic videos, veritasium, vsauce and other such channels. They are great, don't get me wrong just a little to simple for what I was looking for.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check out the free class powerpoints as they usually have something interesting in them.
Somewhere I made an Excel spreadsheet with all of the topics and video links that I thought were interesting...I saved it on one of my many jump drives, so I'll try to find it.

TBH, I thought a lot of the presentations were a bit vague and generalized for what I need to work with, but if it isn't your field of work, then I think you might find some of them interesting! ^^ I hope they are still available...I guess we'll find out.

I think EDX is pretty good. If it says it requires 15 hours of homework each week, it's actually true (even for those who are used to STEM classes...)! lol

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I found the channel that had posted the videos from the first link I had, and it looks like they have made several of the videos public now:
youtube.com/user/TILTatCSU/videos

Also, NASA has a lot of webinars talking about what data they collect and how to access it:
earthdata.nasa.gov/user-resources/webinars-and-tutorials#ed-webinars

Reactions: Crown