'Refreshing' old videos?

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi guys,

I recently updated the tags, title, description and thumbnail (including filename) of an old video that was not longer performing very well. Since doing that it's really spiked again, almost like it was new.

Before I start doing this for all my old videos I was wondering, is this against any part of YT's T+C's?

Also, has anyone else done this?

Thanks

Reactions: Officialcharliehunt

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am not sure I get you... Have you uploaded an old video again with the same tags,title and thumb? or have you uploaded it with new tags, title and thumb? I have changed some of my old videos and uploaded them again but with totally different tags

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sorry I wasn't clear...I changed the title, description, tags and thumbnail on an already uploaded but old video.

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
I've actually done the same thing. A year ago. (it didn't help me personally...maybe I just suck lol , so good for you! :) ) There shouldn't be a problem with improving the way you "market" your video because the WHOLE POINT is for people to watch them. I think people do it all the time. Or else there would probably be a way that Youtube would stop you from doing it or warn you that it's permanent.

MrYorkiesWorld

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There is absolutely nothing against the Ts and Cs when it comes to updating your video information, as long as you don't go adding forbidden links to it or anything which violates the community guidelines of course. I think updating old videos is a great idea and I do try and do that myself to be perfectly honest - it helps to keep your view count up and revitalizes old videos to make them interesting again. In the long-run, this is bound to help you still get a decent view count and engagement rate on even your oldest videos - not to mention the fact it will help keep your channel up-to-date and make your channel look more appealing if all of your videos are updated regularly.

Keep up the great work!

--Yorkie

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its a good idea to refresh the SEO on older non performimg videos in the hope you gain new traction.
Dont touch any video that is performing well though - Leave it well alone.

caregiver12

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Its a good idea to refresh the SEO on older non performimg videos in the hope you gain new traction.
Dont touch any video that is performing well though - Leave it well alone.
Very good point! Youtube is so fragile isn't it, you don't want to touch ANYTHING that might break you! I am only going to do it on videos that have died off.

Reaction score
So what kinds of spike in views / followers did you see?? I think my channel is too dire to resuscitate [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk