Reddit tips !

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Hey boys and girls !
About 70% of my views are drawn from reddit !
So for me it is crucial i get reddit right. And for you it might be too, if you want to push your views a bit.
So i will dedicate this thread for reddit tips !
I will update this post whenever i find something new and i hope you lot will share your knowledge about reddit success.

1 : You will get a lot of views if you are on the front page of a subreddit. Reddits algorithm is mostly based around time. If a post is new, its on top. If its old, its far down where nowbody will see it.
But if it collects a lot of upvotes it can make up for the time passed and rise to the top.
So if the top post in a subreddit is old (24h+) and has a small amount of upvotes, your chances of being ranked in high in the sub, and therefor high on the front page of those subscribed to the sub, is high.
If just 3 hours ago a post with 6000 upvotes was made, forget it. You won´t be able to generate a lot of views through this sub the next days. (It is still worth posting, some people browse the new section of a sub, and reddit gives new post chances to get some upvotes, but its better to wait some hours for the right moment).

Edit : Example of this :
Life pro tips is one of the largest subreddits with over 10 million subscribers. I managed to get my post in the top 5 there (right now, this will probably fade away in some hours). It is actually a text post (if you click it you see a text i wrote, not directly the youtube video) but since it was on the topic of my video, i integrated the link in the post, getting me some traffic.
As you can see the other post don´t have an huge amount of upvotes either (exept the number 1 and 3 post) so i was able to be easily visable with just 30 people liking my post !
Unbenannt.JPG

2 : If you are monetizing, disable pre-roll ads (the skipable 30 seconds ads). While they are tolerable for your subscribers, redditors will not trust the quality of your content (your post will most likely have below 10 upvotes in that point) and they will just click away and dive in the huge amount of other, maybe better, content reddit shows him.
My last 2 videos were underachieving brutaly because these ads scared the reddit folks away. I turned them off and now my latest video is getting views again.

3 : Don´t only use link-post. Also use selfpost (text based post). For example : My Life Pro Tip post that is mentionend in point 1 :
Unbenannt1.JPG
This way redditors will know what your video is about before they click it and will be more likely to stick longer - they know what they are getting.
Also this way you signal that your post is more about the information, less about the views you want to pull in, because you already provide redditors with the core of your information before you offer them the option to watch the video.

4 : Always ask yourself : "Is my video relevant to the people browsing the subreddit ?" before sharing your video. If you aren´t 100% sure - don´t share it.
You really don´t want to be a spammer and your post will only be "successful" if the people in the sub are interested in it.
Subreddits are there so every user can filter the content he views. If you post in a philosophy subreddit, people want to see philosophy (real philosophy, not motivational facebook quotes. That should be posted in the motivation sub(s)).

5 : Prefer a smaller, more relevant sub over huge but not really on topic subs.
A subreddit with 50.000 followers that suits your video perfectly will generate you more views and more importantly more views of people that are actually interested in your content -> will subscribe to you than the videos sub with over 10 million followers.
You will have less competition in the smaller subs and, because the sub fits your video, a much greater chance that the people clicking your video actually enjoy it. Afterall they are on this subreddit for the exact content that you are providing them. WIn-win

6 : Coming soon :)

Share your tips !

Last edited:

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My tip is to post in the relevant topics, like for an example, I was in NYC and I posted my video of NYC in the New York reddit!

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I would't care too much about disabling ads. Most people are used to them already and it has never prevented me from ranking number one in really big subreddits.

Reactions: ShuriBear

Hi!MyNameIsJan

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
My tip is to post in the relevant topics, like for an example, I was in NYC and I posted my video of NYC in the New York reddit!
Yeah the "videos" subreddit is too broad to be effective for smaller, not extremly good videos. In other smaller subs like StonerPhilosophy you will achieve better results if you talk about philosophy.
I would't care too much about disabling ads. Most people are used to them already and it has never prevented me from ranking number one in really big subreddits.
Like i said in my original post, as soon as your post gains traction and upvotes, people will trust that your video is good and wait that extra 5 seconds.
For me in my small sample size of 2 it didn´t work with the skippable ads. The other ads are entirely cool though, nobody gets botherd by them.[DOUBLEPOST=1483821925,1483815198][/DOUBLEPOST]i just updated the original post with some more information regarding point 1 and a picture

TattedGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thank you for this! I'm going to try this for my videos and see what happens.

Clam-

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you forgot to mention the most important thing when it comes to reddit and submitting your own content. Nobody likes spammers and reddit is no exception. You're required to maintain 9:1 comments - links ratio:

✔ 9:1 content ratio
If more than 10% of the content you link is your own, you risk a Reddit-wide shadowban.
So consequences are severe, if you spam your own website / channel without actually contributing to communities where you post it, you risk having your website / channel banned from reddit. So keep that in mind! Also, no cheating - don't create multiple accounts to upvote your own content, as soon as mods notice suspicious behavior, they will report it to admins (that's if their system doesn't catch you before that).

Good luck, reddit is awesome for (free) content promotion if you do it right!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hi!MyNameIsJan

Mello Fello's

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Damn,
Everywhere I go I hear others complain about how reddit this and reddit that. So to hear from someone that they have actually had a little success on the site is pretty cool. Now first thing is first, props on the length and the detail in your post. When one gets into that much detail, at least here on this website, people really appreciate it. So cheers and I hope you continue to prosper and get even more than 70 percent from reddit.