JMAAMusic

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
/r/GradeAUnderA and /r/h3h3productions are in fact subreddits for those channels, not your video. Unfortunately that is how reddit works. If you post something in the wrong subreddit or not accoring the so called reddiquette the community will give you dislikes. Especially when your video is not moderated out fast enough.

Reddit is really really really tricky like that and the community even more so. I'm not a big fan, but I also do try to get some views of them since it's got kinda many viewers. Have you tried /r/videos yet? I can't post there because of my gameplay, but you probably can....right?
/r/videos doesn't really let me post any kind of videos, because they automatically get removed out of the listing.

LuiC

I sing and vlog stuff
Reaction score
I've been posting my latest video about the entire YouTube drama to various relevant subreddits that focus on the issues that YouTube is facing lately, say stuff like /r/GradeAUnderA or /r/h3h3productions or the sort. And since I posted them, I got dislikes on this video in particular, like a good bunch of them. It really quite made the like/dislike ratio quite ugly at this point.

And so far, I got one comment which actually calls me "cringe".

So I don't know, but Reddit seems to me like a bloody mess. Should I find somewhere else to post this video? I want to spread the word I am explaining in the video as much as possible, for the sake of the proper hashtag movements (#MakeYoutubeGreatAgain and #WTFU). I want to further the discussion there.

And no, before you say it, I don't have as much Twitter or Facebook followers acive enough to share a lot.
Reddit isn't actually that bad. But in order to succeed:

1. Another person you don't know will submit your video to a big subreddit and get to frontpage, giving you a huge boost.

2. Your content is SO compelling that they will ask you if it's OC. Most of the time, Reddit HATES OC for some reason.

Reactions: JMAAMusic

NothingToDoCrew

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit is a crazy world..I spent a lot of time on there, so after making my mariokart video i posted on there under the mariokart subreddit and one other one and a total of 15-20 people liked it or commented.. 3 MONTHS LATER, i get a call and my video is on the front page of reddit. Someone posted it and it exploded overnight....I just dont get it

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Yes on Reddit you really need to know where to post your videos. The only ways to get to the popular tab is when a respected Redditer shares your video on there or if you already have a big following. If you do it yourself people will see you are only sharing for self-promotion instantly.

Reactions: JMAAMusic

PinProject

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I havent had much luck with reddit I tried different sub-topics but still didn't see much traffic.

kevsup

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've had some instant success with Reddit, especially choosing relevant subreddits, though each post does mellow itself after a couple days. Anyone had success with r/videos? It seems that too many people post on it to have any tangible effect, but maybe one of you has had success with that huge subreddit

CraftingNomad

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've had some instant success with Reddit, especially choosing relevant subreddits, though each post does mellow itself after a couple days. Anyone had success with r/videos? It seems that too many people post on it to have any tangible effect, but maybe one of you has had success with that huge subreddit
I've had success there in the past, but now its more of a pain then what its worth.

After posting a link some random person told me to remove the link or he was going to report me.

The no fun zone.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
i think you should reddit, but treat it as a regular forum, comment on other peoples subreddits, be active, and then promote yourself!

Reactions: kevsup

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
80-90% of my views come from search, the rest pretty much all come from Reddit. It's a pretty sizeable chunk from Reddit too it's just I have 80-90% from search because one particular video took off really well in search rankings and gets a lot of hits. So all in all I'm hugely in favour of using Reddit.

The thing about using Reddit to gain subs is it's almost like using YTTalk to gain subs. If you were to come on here and make a post asking people to check out your channel and subscribe (outside of the videos forums where you can of course share your videos), you'd be breaking the rules and get in trouble. If on the other hand you're an awesome member of the community and it just so happens that people also know about your channel - then bam, you might actually get a lot of support from people here! My point being, with Reddit, rather than using it purely to advertise, you have to see it as a community you take part in first, and a place to share your channel/videos second.

I for example am rather active in one particular subreddit, and because I'm posting there every day and most of the regulars all know me, when I share my own videos there ~twice a week it's not a problem and people usually check them out too since they know I cover relevant subjects that the people there would enjoy. It has the added benefit of meaning some of my subscribers are people I talk to already on reddit on a daily basis, which is great because I like building a community with my subscriber base rather than them just all being people I never speak to.

On the other hand I wouldn't recommend just posting your videos in subreddits you aren't already an active regular poster in. So my advice is if you want to use Reddit, sign up to the subreddits that fit the subject matter you make videos about, and genuinely get involved. Become a regular, get to know people, post useful/funny/helpful comments and links, and then once you've been there a while it's perfectly okay to share a video or link of your own every so often.

As the Reddit self-promotion FAQ says:
"It's perfectly fine to be a redditor with a website, it's not okay to be a website with a reddit account."

So if you're a contributing user who occasionally shares your links, that's cool, but if you're an advertiser who occasionally/never contributes to the community outside of your links - that's spam by Reddit rules and grounds to be banned/have your posts blocked etc.

PinProject

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Was there a specific time in the day you found more successful to post?